740 replies to this topic

#391 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

I think its being made a big deal due to the fact people are making excuses for him and putting down the rest of the cast who have twice as much to do as him.

To say the other members of the cast have already missed some shows is correct in that they were not on, but its what is called 'Swinging Out' allowing the understudy or swing on to familiarise themselves with the show and part infront of an audience. This is especially important for this show as injuries as you stated are bound to happen.  John has a couple of lines and a couple of dances but also sits down for a good hour and half of a 2 hour show.  

I think this is a case of Jon fans sticking up for him and saying he should be allowed off every 4/5 weeks but what about the other lesser known members of the cast? Are they allowed that as well or what about every other west end show? I would understand the need for a break if we were talking about Valjean or Elphaba here but we're not.

Also when you say original production this is the first london revival of the show, but on broadway the Zach in the 2006 revival too did the dances and when you say all you mean 'God i hope i get it' and 'One' its hardly 'The man and the mirror'
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#392 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

considering john has, like so many before him, made it clear that he wanted to distance himself from theatre (but this role was too good to miss) him prioiritising any tv exposure is not a surprise. he clearly wants a barrowman type career

#393 Vicky

Vicky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Withe the day seats for this, are they ones where you need to be there early (like Wicked/Legally) or they give you what they have at whatever time (like Ghost)

#394 NorthernSpoon

NorthernSpoon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

I don't see anyone here putting down the cast? Just stating the facts, that they too have missed shows. And yes, I know it's to allow all the covers to get used to their other roles etc, but therefore John's understudies should also be allowed this chance, shouldn't they? I'm not a 'John fan trying to defend him', I just honestly don't see the issue?

John does not have a 'couple of lines', have you seen the show? And yes, he does sit in the auditorium but it must be incredibly tough sitting with the audience; people going in and out to the toilet, on their phones, eating, messing around. He needs to have such concentration and not get distracted by the stupid things people do. And in regards to the dancing, I'm talking about when Zach initially teaches the auditionees all the choreography, and then does the full routine, this is usually taught by Larry. Also tap number in the middle, again, since the original production this has been done by Larry. John has to come back on stage, after sitting in the auditorium for an hour, to dance full out. No wonder he needs a rest.

I've not seen John making it clear that he wanted to distance himself from theatre and I happen to know that it took a lot of persuading to get John to agree to the role and he's most certainly not prioritising tv exposure?

Vicky with day seats for this you need to be there early, on a Saturday I'd suggest around 9.15 ish.

#395 JennLaFleur

JennLaFleur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Travelling!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

View Postjaqs, on 27 February 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Thats true and whilst John Partridge is a name he isnt a superstar.
I love the show and I love that it is at the palladium but agree that its not what once a year people expect.

Part of the reason i hated Jersey boys so much was the dull set and poor use of the stage, after the amazing mary poppins set.

John had over 20 years experience in the West End before Eastenders - definitely more than just a name.

Completely agree with NorthernSpoon's post. If John is contracted to do the lottery, then he has to do it. Why is his reason for taking a show off any less valid than the others? John is an extremely hard worker, puts 100% into everything he does - he even did the matinee yesterday before immediately rushing off to do the lottery, simply because it was physically possible. It's not like he took a show off simply because he was tired or needed a break either, he took it off to do more work!

#396 Vicky

Vicky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

View PostNorthernSpoon, on 03 March 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

Vicky with day seats for this you need to be there early, on a Saturday I'd suggest around 9.15 ish.

Thanks - lucky I don't think 9:15 is early, at least it means not getting the 1st train of the morning, to be in London for 7...

#397 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

I have seen ACL and it is a demanding show for the cast, but that is their profession and what they get paid to do - 8 shows a week. Other people in other professions (eg teachers) can't say "oh by the way I have another job to do every other Friday so I wont be here". I just feel that barring illness the cast should appear at every performance - people have paid high prices to see them and it is disrespectful to your audience not to appear because you prefer to be somewhere else.

Unfortunately I think there is a trend in the WE at the moment when some casts perform on almost a rota basis! Heather Hadley has a HUGE list of dates she is not "on" in the Bodyguard.

As for John Partridge presenting the lottery - presumably agreed when he had no other work and a way of keeping up his "profile". But frankly it is not good enough that he misses a peak Sat night performance of a show at the Palladium to "present" the lottery of all things. If I had paid £60 to see the show on Sat night I would not have been happy!

#398 CC.

CC.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 03 March 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

I have seen ACL and it is a demanding show for the cast, but that is their profession and what they get paid to do - 8 shows a week. Other people in other professions (eg teachers) can't say "oh by the way I have another job to do every other Friday so I wont be here". I just feel that barring illness the cast should appear at every performance - people have paid high prices to see them and it is disrespectful to your audience not to appear because you prefer to be somewhere else.

Unfortunately I think there is a trend in the WE at the moment when some casts perform on almost a rota basis! Heather Hadley has a HUGE list of dates she is not "on" in the Bodyguard.

As for John Partridge presenting the lottery - presumably agreed when he had no other work and a way of keeping up his "profile". But frankly it is not good enough that he misses a peak Sat night performance of a show at the Palladium to "present" the lottery of all things. If I had paid £60 to see the show on Sat night I would not have been happy!

I don't quite agree with your post. John Partridge had agreed to present the lottery prior to ACL. Was he supposed to just drop his first commitment because something better came along? The fact that John is working through both of his commitments is a testament to his dedication and character.
Also, how come it is okay for some of the other actors to miss previews because they're ill, and that's fine. John was there for every show and worked through injuries yet that's being pushed aside? What's the problem with John choosing to "keep up his profile". He's clearly worked hard all of his life and I don't see what the problem is with him making the most of the opportunities that are coming his way! If anyone else was in the same position, they'd do the same thing!

I just don't understand why he's being slated, and this isn't aimed specifically at you either. It sounds more like a WE snobbery thing, where people have a problem that John's come "from the telly". If anyone's actually read his interviews or heard him talking about ACL, they'd know that he's worked for 20 years in theatre in multiple shows. He's extremely passionate about the show with a work ethic to match.

#399 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

To answer both points i have seen the show 3 times already, not that should be used to back up the validity of my point, and also  i think this board is alot more clued up on Jon's previous shows than the general public. The problem is this is a regular thing which for a Saturday night at the acclaimed London Palladium isn't really good enough, if it is not stated before. If they list dates he will be off, like with every other show in london people wouldn't be making a big deal of it, as it is because he is "off the telly" they should advertise dates like this. I know a group of people seeing this on a saturday night in a few weeks and he is the reason they are going and chose a saturday thinking it's a night when you assume the cast will be on barring illness/holidays.

Jon is not the only member of the cast performing through injuries so can we please stop this martyr act, they all have various injuries only Jon's are more widely known about!  Also he shouldn't need a rest for this role, it is his job, he should be capable of doing all 8 shows a week, and that routine he does a couple of times is nothing on what the rest of the cast have to do, i'm sorry if you dont agree but he doesn't dance the montage ect. and standing on the line and then dancing flat out is just as challenging for the performers.

Also for this day seats have been going early but its not really caught on like Wicked i went the other day at 2.00 and got row I of the stalls for the day seat price so they will still discount during the day. The box office are helpful but wont always point you in the direction of day seats unless you ask.
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#400 JennLaFleur

JennLaFleur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Travelling!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 03 March 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

People have paid high prices to see the show, not just one performer. And even if they did, it's not like John didn't let anyone know in advance - he tweeted about being on the lottery a few weeks beforehand, then the day before, then on the day itself. If you were coming just to see John then you would know he wouldn't be performing that evening. So it's not okay for John to honour his Lottery contract (he didn't prefer to be there) but it is okay for other members of the cast to not perform simply so the understudies can get used to the role? What about the understudy for Zach? Is he not allowed to get used to that role?

It sounds to me like people are putting John up on a pedestal just because of his high profile. He didn't get the job because he was 'off the telly', he's a huge talent who got the role because he deserved it. And he's the hardest working man in the business - he never missed a show during panto, and last night was his first night off since the show started. To suggest he took it off for the hell of it just isn't true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users