Jump to content


* * * * * 2 votes

A Chorus Line


  • Please log in to reply
740 replies to this topic

#401 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

The role of Zach isn't nearly as complicated as the other tracks in the show, and also stop making ridiculous statements that he is the hardest working man in the business. There are people in the industry just as if not even more hard working the Jon and that is coming from one of his fans!! In the general sense of things as well the show has been on for about 5 weeks, it shouldn't be a big deal that he has lasted so long without a break, most new shows like the bodyguard don't allow holidays until late January and the show opened in November.
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#402 JennLaFleur

JennLaFleur

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northern Ireland
  • Interests:Travelling!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

View Posttheaterfan14, on 03 March 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

The role of Zach isn't nearly as complicated as the other tracks in the show, and also stop making ridiculous statements that he is the hardest working man in the business. There are people in the industry just as if not even more hard working the Jon and that is coming from one of his fans!! In the general sense of things as well the show has been on for about 5 weeks, it shouldn't be a big deal that he has lasted so long without a break, most new shows like the bodyguard don't allow holidays until late January and the show opened in November.

I wasn't being literal, just making a point. He is definitely one of the hardest working though. It's not about how complicated the role is, it's the fact he's doing it 8 times a week. I haven't seen any criticism of any other member of the cast - why is it all being directed at John? Nearly all the main roles have had a show off for whatever reason. I don't understand the 'not good enough' remark - not good enough for who? ACL have let him off to do the lottery, the contract he committed to before joining the show. I honestly don't see what the problem is!

#403 NorthernSpoon

NorthernSpoon

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Manchester

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

I only initially commented because I didn't understand the reason behind people calling John out on doing the Lottery last night.

All I think is that John signed the contract for the Lottery before he signed for ACL and therefore he has to honour his obligations. Also, John being out does allow for his cover to get a chance at playing Zach which is highly beneficial, John is the type of person not to miss a show even if he's ill and therefore his cover may not have had the opportunity to play Zach for a while. I do maybe think that The Palladium should advertise the dates he is off more obviously though.

I understand that some people may see the role of Zach as less challenging, that's definitely subjective.

#404 JennLaFleur

JennLaFleur

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northern Ireland
  • Interests:Travelling!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

I definitely think that perhaps the Palladium should have advertised more clearly when John was going to be off as soon as they knew - but that's not John's fault! He did let people know via Twitter, what else could he have done?

#405 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostJennLaFleur, on 03 March 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

I wasn't being literal, just making a point. He is definitely one of the hardest working though. It's not about how complicated the role is, it's the fact he's doing it 8 times a week. I haven't seen any criticism of any other member of the cast - why is it all being directed at John? Nearly all the main roles have had a show off for whatever reason. I don't understand the 'not good enough' remark - not good enough for who? ACL have let him off to do the lottery, the contract he committed to before joining the show. I honestly don't see what the problem is!

I didn't say he wasn't good enough?? :blink:
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#406 JennLaFleur

JennLaFleur

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northern Ireland
  • Interests:Travelling!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

View Posttheaterfan14, on 03 March 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

I didn't say he wasn't good enough?? :blink:

Sorry, I should have made it clearer I was referring to wickedgrin's comment, not yours! Though you did say this "The problem is this is a regular thing which for a Saturday night at the acclaimed London Palladium isn't really good enough" which isn't really true - it's not a regular thing, it's one show every 4-5 weeks, which in the grand scheme of things isn't that many.

#407 CC.

CC.

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

View Posttheaterfan14, on 03 March 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

To answer both points i have seen the show 3 times already, not that should be used to back up the validity of my point, and also  i think this board is alot more clued up on Jon's previous shows than the general public. The problem is this is a regular thing which for a Saturday night at the acclaimed London Palladium isn't really good enough, if it is not stated before. If they list dates he will be off, like with every other show in london people wouldn't be making a big deal of it, as it is because he is "off the telly" they should advertise dates like this. I know a group of people seeing this on a saturday night in a few weeks and he is the reason they are going and chose a saturday thinking it's a night when you assume the cast will be on barring illness/holidays.

Jon is not the only member of the cast performing through injuries so can we please stop this martyr act, they all have various injuries only Jon's are more widely known about!  Also he shouldn't need a rest for this role, it is his job, he should be capable of doing all 8 shows a week, and that routine he does a couple of times is nothing on what the rest of the cast have to do, i'm sorry if you dont agree but he doesn't dance the montage ect. and standing on the line and then dancing flat out is just as challenging for the performers.

Also for this day seats have been going early but its not really caught on like Wicked i went the other day at 2.00 and got row I of the stalls for the day seat price so they will still discount during the day. The box office are helpful but wont always point you in the direction of day seats unless you ask.

BIB 1 - I don't understand the point that you're trying to make by mentioning that?

BIB 2 - So it's okay for other cast members to be off on a Saturday for "holidays", but it's NOT okay for John to be off to honour another work commitment?

BIB 3 - It's not a martyr act. I don't think that you quite understand the point that I'm trying to make. I'm simply saying that he's working through his injuries as opposed to taking time off and "disrespecting" the audience. Neither am I making light of other actors injuries, however, as I don't know about them, I can't comment on them.

BIB 4 - That's exactly the point! Up until Saturday, John had done every SINGLE show!! So, he's clearly proved that he's more than capable. He didn't take time off for holidays or injuries, he took time off to honour another work commitment.

BIB 5 - I  never said that it wasn't challenging for them. It's ironic how you've just spoken about how John "should be more than capable", yet he's done every show (bar one for Lotto) when some of the other cast have already missed out on some because of injuries. How come it's one rule for everyone else and one rule for John? That's hardly fair!

#408 sushisamba

sushisamba

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Sorry if this has been discussed already but if I am planning on buying the £20 day seats for a wednesday matinee does anyone know what time it is advisable to arrive at the box office by?

Thanks!

#409 KevinUK

KevinUK

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

For 65 I expect to come out and think "that's the best thing I've ever seen". It's as simple as that really. But the reality is something like that only appears every so often. I haven't seen this yet, but in general I think the west end is hugely over priced - you're talking around 300 for a family of 4 in stall seats and a meal before hand. Yes there are cheaper seats available, but for anyone who doesn't go to the theatre regularly, they'll believe that seats are cheaper because the view isn't as good. Many people would rather not pay out for a view they might not enjoy, but at the same time can't afford a family trip at top price.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#410 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostCC., on 03 March 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

BIB 1 - I don't understand the point that you're trying to make by mentioning that?

BIB 2 - So it's okay for other cast members to be off on a Saturday for "holidays", but it's NOT okay for John to be off to honour another work commitment?

BIB 3 - It's not a martyr act. I don't think that you quite understand the point that I'm trying to make. I'm simply saying that he's working through his injuries as opposed to taking time off and "disrespecting" the audience. Neither am I making light of other actors injuries, however, as I don't know about them, I can't comment on them.

BIB 4 - That's exactly the point! Up until Saturday, John had done every SINGLE show!! So, he's clearly proved that he's more than capable. He didn't take time off for holidays or injuries, he took time off to honour another work commitment.

BIB 5 - I  never said that it wasn't challenging for them. It's ironic how you've just spoken about how John "should be more than capable", yet he's done every show (bar one for Lotto) when some of the other cast have already missed out on some because of injuries. How come it's one rule for everyone else and one rule for John? That's hardly fair!

1) You say that if we read the interviews with John we will know he has 20 years experience in the West End, the point is this board is not filled with people who don't know John's past, many have seen him in these shows, your point seemed to me if you where trying to say you knew something we didn't!

2) Holidays are generally publicised but if i had gone to theatre thinking John was ill and got home and found out he had presented the lottery to me, and many others it would seem he didn't care- talk about disrespecting an audience. Plus its another work commitment that ultimately raises his profile by keeping him on the tv and pays him a wage but does very little for the show! Not everyone has or uses twitter that sees the show, so that is not an excuse either.

3) The whole cast have been working through injuries you make out like John is the only member of the cast to have them and then perform with them. Scarlett was injuried and she took the show off not to over do it because press night was on the tuesday, and her dance for The Man and the Mirror is much harder than what John does in the entire show.

4) But the point is A Chorus Line is a work commitment end of!!!

5) Its hardly fair but his role is hardly as demanding!

Lets have the whole of the west end taking days off here and there just to suit other work commitments!!
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users