740 replies to this topic

#411 NorthernSpoon

NorthernSpoon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

View Postsushisamba, on 03 March 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Sorry if this has been discussed already but if I am planning on buying the £20 day seats for a wednesday matinee does anyone know what time it is advisable to arrive at the box office by?

Thanks!

I'd get there for around 9.45/10, there was a queue the other week but that was the day after Press Night. My friend was able to get other stalls seats for £25 when all the day seats had sold out.

#412 JennLaFleur

JennLaFleur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Travelling!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

The point is John didn't 'take a night off' - he went straight from the matinee show to the BBC to present the lottery. Yes, possibly disappointing to those who wanted to see him that night but the lottery is still a work commitment, one he started before ACL, and he obviously felt he had to honour it. As far as I'm aware, none of the cast do every single show for the entirety of the run because it's just too exhausting. But John didn't miss the show to rest, or to have a night off - it was to do more work!

I'm also pretty sure all the W.E shows have understudies, and some even have cast changes during the run. You go to see the show, not just for one performer - and if you do go for the one performer, you should be aware that they might not be on that night so it's best to make sure you go on a day where they'll definitely be performing.

#413 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Did anyone see Georgie, Gary and Marc last night?

#414 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

From a friend who saw it last night Gary was great as Zach and Marc sang Don's parts really well. Georgie sang What i did for love really well, but apparently didn't have enough emotion compared to Victoria but another solid performance from all.

Finally he took a night off from the show, no one can deny that fact, he left the show to do another job and what seems like it will be something that will happen quite a lot within the next year, so maybe the producers should advertise his dates off.
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#415 JennLaFleur

JennLaFleur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Travelling!

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

View Posttheaterfan14, on 03 March 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

From a friend who saw it last night Gary was great as Zach and Marc sang Don's parts really well. Georgie sang What i did for love really well, but apparently didn't have enough emotion compared to Victoria but another solid performance from all.

Finally he took a night off from the show, no one can deny that fact, he left the show to do another job and what seems like it will be something that will happen quite a lot within the next year, so maybe the producers should advertise his dates off.

I agree the producers/theatre should advertise his dates off. Are any of them advertised?

#416 sushisamba

sushisamba

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostNorthernSpoon, on 03 March 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

I'd get there for around 9.45/10, there was a queue the other week but that was the day after Press Night. My friend was able to get other stalls seats for £25 when all the day seats had sold out.

Thanks for this!

#417 Princeton

Princeton

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Guess the basic fact is the he is entitled to take some shows off as holiday - if he choses (or has been given permission) to use this time to do television work (or his forthcoming cabaret at the Hippodrome) so be it.  Victoria Hamilton Barritt was away on Friday and both show Saturday - and is tweeting that she's in Budapest.  Seems to me that the producers are pretty relaxed about their cast taking time off so early in the run.  Perhaps they are determined to prove that it's an ensemble show not a star driven vehicle.

It's not dissimilar to Book of Mormon in the US where they didn't officially announce that Josh Gad, Andrew Ranells, Gavin Creel or Jared Gertner were leaving until after their final performance (and they seem to have been told not to tweet about it either).

You can't really blame actors for not letting people know what it going on.  It's the producers' responsibility - and increasingly they seem to think that audiences are the least important people in the theatre.

#418 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

Ridiculous! I dont believe they are all on a rota! They auditioned to be cast in A Chorus Line and the paying public have a right at up to £60 a ticket to see that cast (barring illness). I will still maintain that they are ALL contracted to do 8 shows a week like the rest of us are contracted to do 40 hours per week! I am sick to death of all these "professionals" or their fans saying " oooh it's so demanding"- if you can't do it - there are plenty of people who can and do!

#419 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 04 March 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

Ridiculous! I dont believe they are all on a rota! They auditioned to be cast in A Chorus Line and the paying public have a right at up to £60 a ticket to see that cast (barring illness). I will still maintain that they are ALL contracted to do 8 shows a week like the rest of us are contracted to do 40 hours per week! I am sick to death of all these "professionals" or their fans saying " oooh it's so demanding"- if you can't do it - there are plenty of people who can and do!
Do you not have paid holiday in your job then? I should get onto your union pronto if that's the case.

#420 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Just bought a ticket for this for tonight. Rather excited!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users