740 replies to this topic

#471 stephdimms91

stephdimms91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

View PostFireFingers, on 15 March 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Hairspray doesn't come off tour till October, so A Chorus Line will have had a decent run. It's not a popular show over here, and so I think if it does shutter in October it'll have done well. It's planning to tour though.

Though I know Hairspray also looked at The Palace between Singing in the Rain and The Commitments. Got their pick of houses it would seem.

I think it will definitely run until when it is supposed to. I've seen it and I don't get why it wouldn't be a popular show? I really enjoyed it and thought the cast was really strong. Think it will do well on tour and it deserves positive reviews. I will definitely go see it again.

#472 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Its not popular purely because it hasnt had much promo

#473 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

its not just promotion, its the fact the musical itself isnt as popular here as in america and holds limited appeal

#474 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

It is a sensational show BUT the Palladium is a HUGE theatre to fill 8 times a week with a show which will not appeal to the coach parties expecting big sets and spectacle. I have to see the show again and I am not one generally for multiple viewings.

#475 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

The only show ive seen multiple times is Wicked, one time for this is enough for me

#476 frightenedrabbit

frightenedrabbit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

I saw it for the 4th time yesterday! I seriously wasn't anticipating how much I would love this show. Georgie was understudying for VHB again. That's the 2nd time I've seen her in the role of Diana, and I was impressed again! I do hope she eventually gets a chance to become a part of the main cast.

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but I've really been enjoying Lucy Jane Adcock's performance too, she has a brilliant voice. I've loved John Partridge's performance from the start, but he just seems to get better and better, I feel like I'm developing a bit of a crush on him :wub:

#477 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

Lucy's great!! Loved her in Chicago too. I hope to go for the 3rd time next week, it would be nice to have some covers for a change.

#478 Mothers Younger Brother

Mothers Younger Brother

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

It's been a month since I got to see the show and I am still raving about it to all of my friends.  One piece of theatre I will never forget.

#479 stephdimms91

stephdimms91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

Saw the show this evening, Victoria Hamilton-Barritt who plays Diana and Gary Wood who plays Paul were both absent. They were covered by Georgie Ashford and Michael Steedon. Was really interesting to see the covers as I have seen the show before and it definitely mixed it up a bit. It was a really fantastic performance and the tap dancing is always one of my favourite parts. I love Leigh Zimmerman, she really is Sheila, can't imagine any one else playing that part. The chemistry between John Partridge and Scarlett Strallen is fantastic too, both really strong dancers and John is incredible during the tap. Love the finale, I could listen to 'What I did for love' all day! Will definitely go again.

#480 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

View Poststephdimms91, on 24 March 2013 - 12:40 AM, said:

Saw the show this evening, Victoria Hamilton-Barritt who plays Diana and Gary Wood who plays Paul were both absent. They were covered by Georgie Ashford and Michael Steedon. Was really interesting to see the covers as I have seen the show before and it definitely mixed it up a bit. It was a really fantastic performance and the tap dancing is always one of my favourite parts. I love Leigh Zimmerman, she really is Sheila, can't imagine any one else playing that part. The chemistry between John Partridge and Scarlett Strallen is fantastic too, both really strong dancers and John is incredible during the tap. Love the finale, I could listen to 'What I did for love' all day! Will definitely go again.

Saw the Saturday matinee and couldn't agree more about Georgie and Leigh Zimmerman. Georgie, and all the female characters, was/were very strong i thought. Leigh just commands the audience,  and they seemed to love her.

Didn't really get much from Zach - he dances it fine but the character was flat for me. May be distant memories of the film alternative?  Not sure either about how it all fits together  - as I was obviously picking up the wrong clues, or not detecting any signals from Zach, from who was out of time, uncontrolled, lacked the stage presence  or had the wrong motivations to get into the final 8. I would have picked several different people.....

its a great show though, sounds great, has heart, and got a very very warm reception. Almost all stalls seats seemed full - although it did seem to have quite an old audience in in the  main - when it ought to have an appeal to younger audiences too. Perhaps the grey pound and the dollar bill  is all thats  left?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users