740 replies to this topic

#481 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Finally got to see it last night. The show holds special memories for me as it was the first West End musical I saw when I moved to London at the tender age of 18 and the show that really got me into musicals. I think I saw it a total of 5 times during its original run.
So it was wonderful seeing it again and was blown away. Fabulous cast and staging. God those guys work so hard. Wonderful dancing and singing by everyone. Will be going again a few times more for sure.
A 5,6,7.8.........................................

Oh I think there must have been a special offer outside the theatre for boiled sweets in celophane wrappers as everyone seemed to have a massive bag full which they devoured throught the show especially at the quieter moments. And I think that Age Concern had booked the theatre for the night as their annual outing. Bless them.

#482 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

The show has two olivier nods... Which could they win?

Best Performance In A Supporting Role In A Musical - Leigh Zimmerman
Best Musical Revival

#483 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

-

#484 Princeton

Princeton

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

There is some prescedent - in the original cast Donna McKechnie won the Best Actress Tony for playing Cassie, while Priscilla Lopez (Morales) and Kelly Bishop (Sheila) both nominated as Best Featured Actress.  Bishop won - so I guess Sheila is a role that gets awards.  Interestingly for the 2007 Broadway revival Charlotte d'Amboise who was playing Cassie was nominated for Best Featured Actress - so who knows whether it's now  considered a lead role or a featured role - and which category it was put in for this year's Oliviers.  If it was considered featured (or supporting) then they could have had several cast members as potential nominees (inc Gary Wood as Paul) so they may have cancelled each other out, one of the problems of having only one award for supporting role - either male or female.

#485 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

Leigh Zimmerman totally deserves to win.. She's a class act and steals the show.

#486 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Na, i think Debbie Kurup of The Bodyguard has stolen the award from Leigh

#487 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3377 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

God i hope not, she was ok at best

#488 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Compared to the rest of the nominations, Debbie is by far the frontrunner... The Bodyguard is gonna win three of their 4 nominations i think, the only not winning being Best Actress

#489 lucyrara

lucyrara

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

Leigh's been blessed with a really strong role with great lines, the role that gets most of the laughs. She's brilliant with impeccable comic timing but I think it's probably more because of the role than the actress which has gained the nomination. It's a shame they don't have a category for best ensemble cast in a musical as I think A Chorus Line would be the front runner for that!

#490 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

There's no way the tacky set is going to win. The Curious Incident will win that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users