740 replies to this topic

#491 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

I think A Chorus Line deserves an award of some sort but I'm not sure they'll win either nomination that they've got...

#492 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

When this booking till?!

#493 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Saw this on Saturday evening. Very very impressed.

It's a beautiful, poignant and honest piece. To be honest, I wasn't all that familiar with it. I knew a couple of the songs and the basic premise, but that was about it..

It's been very well cast. And what makes it all the more moving is that these are very much individual characters, each with their own life and personality, trying to survive in this tempestuous business, and we get to see that. It takes something to be able to carry off a spoken monologue on the Palladium stage, but Gary Wood pulls it off. As does Victoria Hamilton-Barritt with Nothing. You were drawn into the lyrics.

Scarlett Strallen as good a usual- so disciplined and tight in her dancing. And I can see why Leigh Zimmerman has been nominated; I wanted Sheila to succeed. John Partridge surprised me - I;d only ever seen him in my local panto. The way we suddenly see his human side is v touching indeed.

The choreography is thrilling. And the lighting design is one of the best I've seen. It manages to transform the space instantly, adding depth to the work. The moments of inner thought are afforded a fantasy feel, before suddenly being brought back to the cold exposing light of reality.

#494 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

View Postalec_e10, on 29 March 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Finally got to see it last night. The show holds special memories for me as it was the first West End musical I saw when I moved to London at the tender age of 18 and the show that really got me into musicals. I think I saw it a total of 5 times during its original run.
So it was wonderful seeing it again and was blown away. Fabulous cast and staging. God those guys work so hard. Wonderful dancing and singing by everyone. Will be going again a few times more for sure.
A 5,6,7.8.........................................

And I think that Age Concern had booked the theatre for the night as their annual outing. Bless them.

Oy!  We all get there you know (if you're lucky ;-) ) and according to anyone under 50 we're the only one's with any money. I'm spending mine before the kids put me in the home, or send me off to Dignitas. Thanks for the review, we're going to London 27th/28th April so will see if I can get tickets.

#495 luce66

luce66

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hoping to see this next weekend. Is tkts the best for tickets for this does anyone know? Theatremonkey site down atm.

#496 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

I got front row dayseat, £19.50. View was great. Usually I hate the Palladium front row, but it was fine for this show.

#497 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 01 April 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

I got front row dayseat, £19.50. View was great. Usually I hate the Palladium front row, but it was fine for this show.
May I ask what time you got there? And is it up to two per person?
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#498 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

I got there at 7.40, and there were (surprisingly) a few people there- all fangirls who'd seen the show several times, all going for the matinee. By 10, there was a reasonable queue, but all got tickets, easily. It was a two show day, and there are 25 seats in the front row.  And yes, two per person (though I only got one), £19.50.

#499 luce66

luce66

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for the info. Is there a big difference in the queues for Wednesday and Saturday matinees do you know? The possible dates I'm going would be a Saturday or maybe a Friday.

#500 Vicky

Vicky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

I was going to ask how the day seat queue was like now...I'm going down on the 27th April - John is off that week, and I will need to travel down in the morning, so the earliest I can get into Paddington is 7:14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users