FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostMark_E, on 02 October 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

Wicked, avenue q, hairspray, book of mormon

Not saying Jamiem is right (in fact I think a show can still be billed as "from Broadway" with 0 cast, the show just has to have been on at Broadway at some point, doubt there are guidelines), Avenue Q and Wicked had original Broadway cast members (Ann Harada and Idina Menzel respectively) and we still don't know the cast of Mormon so might well have a Broadway name in it.

#62 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:46 AM

View PostMark_E, on 02 October 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

Wicked, avenue q, hairspray, book of mormon

These were never billed as the Broadway 'production'

Book of Morman is advertised as the  Broadway musical, that's not misleading

#63 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

View PostJamiem, on 03 October 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

These were never billed as the Broadway 'production'

Book of Morman is advertised as the  Broadway musical, that's not misleading

The word 'production' does not necessarily include the cast.  To take an example, when Hair came over in 2010 with 'all' the Broadway cast they actually recast the role of Woof I believe, along with several of the ensemble members.  Casts can change within a production (and frequently do) - it's the design/direction that's going to be the same.  When was A Chorus Line last on Broadway anyway?
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#64 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

Thanks Mark.

Also, you see UK tours advertised as 'The West End production' but rarely does it have the West End cast.

This revival closed on Broadway in August 2008

#65 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Yes a WE or Broadway Production refers to the set, lighting, costume design and choreography and direction. It may or may not include members of the original cast - more likely not to.

Regarding A Chorus Line I am (unfortunately) old enough to have seen the original London production at Drury Lane back in the day! I can confirm that the shows success depends entirely on the casting. I saw the original American cast at Drury Lane and was completely knocked out by it - it was performed without interval and at the end I felt like I had audtioned too!!! Completely captivating - the choreography and the execution was something that had never been seen on the London stage at that time.

Six months later - I returned to the show after an English cast had taken over  ( the American 6 month contracts were up). It was a completely different show - nothing like as good. At the time English dancers just did not have that Broadway technique to carry it off - I am sure it is different now, but the show focuses purely on the performers and they make or break it.

I am looking forward to seeing this again though - a fabulous show if performed well.

#66 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

When the casting is announced, I would be very interesteowning find out how many were cast through the open calls and how many we're invited to audition...

#67 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 03 October 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

Yes a WE or Broadway Production refers to the set, lighting, costume design and choreography and direction. It may or may not include members of the original cast - more likely not to.

Regarding A Chorus Line I am (unfortunately) old enough to have seen the original London production at Drury Lane back in the day! I can confirm that the shows success depends entirely on the casting. I saw the original American cast at Drury Lane and was completely knocked out by it - it was performed without interval and at the end I felt like I had audtioned too!!! Completely captivating - the choreography and the execution was something that had never been seen on the London stage at that time.

Six months later - I returned to the show after an English cast had taken over  ( the American 6 month contracts were up). It was a completely different show - nothing like as good. At the time English dancers just did not have that Broadway technique to carry it off - I am sure it is different now, but the show focuses purely on the performers and they make or break it.

I am looking forward to seeing this again though - a fabulous show if performed well.

Interesting why,  on your definition, no where has the London production of Book of Morman been referred to as the 'Broadway production'

The original broadway production of a chorus line (with of course the American cast) at drury lane was one of the best things ever to have played London - you're right, it was phenomenal

#68 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostJamiem, on 03 October 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Interesting why,  on your definition, no where has the London production of Book of Morman been referred to as the 'Broadway production'

The original broadway production of a chorus line (with of course the American cast) at drury lane was one of the best things ever to have played London - you're right, it was phenomenal

Oh no idea. Producers don't have to call it the Broadway production if they don't want to I suppose. I am not familiar enough with the show and the creatives on this but it many not be able to be called the "Broadway Production" because there are elements of the London production that aren't from Broadway - they many have "revised" the show for London or one of the creative elements have been changed and for contractual reasons they cannot call it the "Broadway Production".

#69 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 03 October 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Oh no idea. Producers don't have to call it the Broadway production if they don't want to I suppose. I am not familiar enough with the show and the creatives on this but it many not be able to be called the "Broadway Production" because there are elements of the London production that aren't from Broadway - they many have "revised" the show for London or one of the creative elements have been changed and for contractual reasons they cannot call it the "Broadway Production".

Or perhaps they have some marketing reason why not to, they do mention the awards it has scooped, right?

#70 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

Or perhaps they have integrity?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users