740 replies to this topic

#641 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

Sad the cast recording is no longer happening!

#642 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

It isn't??

#643 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

No no longer a cast recording happening.

#644 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'm curious. Does anyone know why?
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#645 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Realised I hadn't mentioned that I loved this when I saw it a couple of weeks back. After what had pretty much been the worst week of my life, this was just what I needed, all singing, all dancing as they say. Shame it hasn't been a hit commercially as the cast are pretty brilliant (although I would've handed the Olivier to Victoria Hamilton Barritt over Leigh Zinnerman) and the music is just great. It's a simple idea, but it really works.

I was sitting on the aisle of row B, my legs stretched out and my feet next to the steps onto the stage. When John Partridge walked past he asked if I was an actor, when I said no I he told me to "get my feet off the damn stage then". I'm still not sure if it was jokey or he was just being a bit of a sod as my feet weren't even on stairs and we just nearby..
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#646 lucyrara

lucyrara

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

agree with you Alf, I would have given the Olivier to Victoria as well. Not that Leigh isn't good. Just think that Victoria has a better acting part.

Your story about John is great, I would imagine that he was basically being in character as Zach. I've heard that he does this a lot. He's also known to tell people off for using their mobile's. he did this to a lady in front of me once, he glared at her and told her to put her damn phone away, said in Zach's American accent and everything. It was pretty cool. She was very embarrassed but had the good grace to do as she was told.

#647 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

View Postlucyrara, on 12 July 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

agree with you Alf, I would have given the Olivier to Victoria as well. Not that Leigh isn't good. Just think that Victoria has a better acting part.

Your story about John is great, I would imagine that he was basically being in character as Zach. I've heard that he does this a lot. He's also known to tell people off for using their mobile's. he did this to a lady in front of me once, he glared at her and told her to put her damn phone away, said in Zach's American accent and everything. It was pretty cool. She was very embarrassed but had the good grace to do as she was told.
It was in the American accent, so I think it was just joshing, but it did make me nearly crap myself!
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#648 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

I'd have said I was in Eastenders to shut him up a bit.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#649 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

So I caught this with a mate on Friday night. It was really great! I'd only ever seen a production of this many, many years ago in Sydney and although am incredibly familiar with the music as I have the cast recording on my i-Pod and have the film but had really good it was to see this again on stage.

So I went down to my local library on the hunt for a copy of the new cast recording in the event there may be additional songs on it and by coincidence came across the same original cast recording which had been re-released (I had no idea) that splits the Montage over 3 songs; Montage, Part 1: Hello Twelve, Hello Thirteen, Hello Love. Montage, Part 2: Mother. Montage, Part 3 Gimme The Ball.

i-Pod successfully updated, I'm ready to go!
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#650 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

Saw it Friday night - loved it - looked only about half full.

Really striking production though - hadn't seen such fabulous dancing in a musical for a long while, and I loved the simple but highly original use of lighting.

It certainly got me thinking too.

Bits I wasn't so keen on were some of the internal monologue moments when they were all mashed in together into an incoherent mess.  In fact, clarity in dialogue was a recurring problem - I don't know what was the cause of this but my friend felt the same.  Loved the highly 70s style score.

Strallen was off, which was a huge disappointment.

Could have done with an interval too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users