Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Saw the first preview on Sat

I am unsure how much they are going to change it, given that it opens tomorrow

Totally crazy staging and "version" of the text by Benedict Andrews, which I suspect will be too much for some purists

It wasn't that dissimilar to the Andew Upton "version" of The Cherry Orchard at the NT (plenty of expletives)

Overall I really quite enjoyed it- the acting was excellent and I think the staging and text updating really bring out how radical Chekhov was

A bit long but this might have changed (3h 10m on Sat)

Some wonderful touches and clever casting with clever use of the YV space

Much shouting and some of the music and direction was too similar to the recent YV Changeling

There were a couple of line fluffs which is always disappointing

I have to say that I thought Gala Gordon (who plays Irina) was particularly off form and weak. It is her first proper stage role and I really thought this showed. Incidentally I discovered this AFTER thinking what an awful actress she was (I bought a text at the interval)

Mariah Gale and Vanessa Kirby wonderful and both developing into really excellent actors

Will be fascinated to see what the review make of this

#2 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

Is it a bit harsh to go to a first preview and pick them up on line-fluffs?  I guess one would say they should all be gone by preview time.

Anyway, when this ended, Mrs1981 turned to me and said 'what a waste of an evening'.  She also disliked the Cherry Orchard (understandably), I think she likes her classics a little straighter.  I loved it myself.  The singing and wild moments were great, the costumes for the parade, the staging effects in the 2nd half and of course the bell-ringing.  I could have gone for even more bell-ringing.

You're right Parsley, Mariah Gale and Vanessa Kirby were both wonderful, Gale in the unshowy role doing great work and Kirby particularly nailing a couple of her key scenes in the 2nd half.  Danny Kirrane is becoming a favourite of mine as well, effortlessly funny.  The acting really was top-notch I thought, things that might normally have me rolling my eyes (OTT screaming and shouting) were delivered believably here in all cases. It ended just after 10:30 last night, so still a good three hours, may have started a minute or two late.  

I know three people who disliked it quite a lot so far and one other who liked it a little less than me.

I'd also like to introduce dude-1981s first rule of the theatre:

Any time an actress says: 'Why am I so incredibly happy today?' It is not going to end well.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#3 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

I liked and hated it in equal measure. Particularly loathed the Nirvana bit - real Young Vic cliche, I don't think I've seen anything there for a while that didn't have some random pop/rock song inserted. Very much liked the set and most of the acting. Could have been 20 mins shorter.

#4 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

I hated it (if you are keeping track, I am one of the three people dude-1981 mentions, so make sure you don't double count :))
I have no problem with modern versions of classic plays, but the setting here was a mess, neither naturalistic or poetic or allegorical, just Russia of the last century with modern words and modern clothes thrown in. Because the setting was so vague, the characters seemed random, just talking heads disclaiming stuff. Not the actors' fault, and the actual delivery of scenes, taken in isolation, was fine but the different elements weren't connecting into a whole.

#5 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostAbby, on 12 September 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

I liked and hated it in equal measure. Particularly loathed the Nirvana bit - real Young Vic cliche, I don't think I've seen anything there for a while that didn't have some random pop/rock song inserted. Very much liked the set and most of the acting. Could have been 20 mins shorter.

Nirvana ? Are you serious ? I thought this was supposed to be a present-day "relevant" updating of the text so how come they are harping back to music from 20 years ago that no-one under 35 will know ? I see the director is 40 - but I knew that anyway without checking. Typical pandering to the The Young Vic's middle-aged middle-class audience - surprised Stewart Lee isn't in it.

#6 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

Surely you

View PostEpicoene, on 14 September 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Nirvana ? Are you serious ? I thought this was supposed to be a present-day "relevant" updating of the text so how come they are harping back to music from 20 years ago that no-one under 35 will know ? I see the director is 40 - but I knew that anyway without checking. Typical pandering to the The Young Vic's middle-aged middle-class audience - surprised Stewart Lee isn't in it.

Surely you've argued for years that pandering to the middle-aged and ingoring yoof audiences  is exactly what theatres should do? :blink:

#7 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

Rave reviews from Billers, among others. Seeing it next week.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#8 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 14 September 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Nirvana ? Are you serious ? I thought this was supposed to be a present-day "relevant" updating of the text so how come they are harping back to music from 20 years ago that no-one under 35 will know ?

Err...ok.  Well I'm not 31 till later this month and I loved that bit.  I'm pretty sure a 12 year old kid would know Smells Like Teen Spirit.  :rolleyes:
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#9 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

View Postdude-1981, on 14 September 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

Err...ok.  Well I'm not 31 till later this month and I loved that bit.  I'm pretty sure a 12 year old kid would know Smells Like Teen Spirit.  :rolleyes:

You are wrong, you don't know any 12 year olds do you ? I just asked a 13 year old and he had no clue at all, I might as well have asked him whether he'd heard of Al Bowley.

#10 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

I've not seen this but I suppose this track is used in one of two ways. If it's intended to provide a massive wave of mood, then it doesn't require the audience to recognise and identify it. In fact, that knowledge could be a distraction, rousing irrelevant reminiscences of nights spent in TJ's or of Kurt Cobain's suicide, so it's better that most younger audiences can't namecheck it but just experience a direct wash of release. On the other hand, if the music's a direct reference reliant on knowledge, e.g. if the Young Vic's three sisters reside in Nirvana Hall or if the translation refers to "teen spirit", then many of the audience will miss the point.

I only spent one night in The Legendary TJ's, being entertained by Pop Will Eat Itself and their happy happy followers. One of the best nights of my life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users