3 replies to this topic

#1 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Curve's Spring 2013 season has partly been announced.
They're doing Piaf in the studio there.
No casting confirmed yet but I wonder if Caroline O'Connor will play the lead seeing as she's been replaced by Janie Dee in Hello Dolly?
Certainly looking forward to this more than the over a month long run of Hot Stuff in the main theatre.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#2 Angram

Angram

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hot Stuff always packs the place out, so guaranteed revenue. Not my cup of tea though.
Interesting thought about C O'C as Piaf (would certainly have the vocals). Was slightly disappointed that she was replaced by Janie Dee in Hello Dolly. Nothing against JD but don't see her as having the right kind of...well, maybe oomph is the word? I stand to be proved totally wrong.

#3 blackpen

blackpen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

theatreliker: Caroline O'Connor's recently quitting the title role in Hello, Dolly! at Curve this holiday season, another of her self-described dream roles, in exchange for a supporting role in A Christmas Story: The Musical on Broadway has stunned many of us. My main theory as to what might be behind this is that she couldn't pass up the chance for Broadway exposure (and a long-deserved Tony one of these years). But your raising the possibility that she could reprise at Curve her portrayal of Edith Piaf, while only speculation, might also help a lot of us make sense of her recent surprise (and for her, uncharacteristic) moves.

Ms. O'Connor in recent years has rarely repeated roles, but did so for years all over the world with both Chicago (which she's said she'll no longer do) and her signature play, Bombshells (which some of us fear she may also have ceased performing).

No guarantees she will do so, of course, but her reviving her powerful Piaf at Curve would bring me back to Leicester in a heartbeat.

#4 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

Tough to follow Elena Roger, who absolutely nailed the role a few years back.  She was phenomenal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users