15 replies to this topic

#11 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:06 AM

In 2008 the entire histories cycle will be coming to London.

The Histories began in July 2006 with the Henry VI trilogy opening The Courtyard Theatre as part of the Complete Works Festival. The cycle continues in the order it was written, plotting Shakespeare’s development as a playwright before the complete tetralogy is played in historical order. The company will add Richard III to the repertoire in January 2007, Richard II in July, closely followed by the two parts of Henry IV. This production will see veteran actor David Warner in his first RSC role since his seminal Hamlet in 1966, playing Falstaff. David’s return will complete the circle on the first RSC Histories cycle – The Wars of the Roses – staged in 1963/64 by Peter Hall and John Barton in which David played Richard II and Henry VI. Henry V is the final play to join The Histories in November 2007, followed by performances of the complete cycle in Stratford and London during 2008.

http://www.rsc.org.uk/press/420_4663.aspx

#12 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:56 AM

King Lear/Seagull are coming to London too eventually. I wonder if Coriolanus will ?

#13 Welthorpe

Welthorpe

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:26 PM

One of the more disconcerting effects of this new message board is that I have found myself agreeing with Jan on occasion  wink.gif Rupert Gould is a terrific talent. He'd be a fantastic replacement Associate Director for Dominic Cooke at the RSC.

#14 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE(Welthorpe @ Mar 26 2007, 05:26 PM) View Post
One of the more disconcerting effects of this new message board is that I have found myself agreeing with Jan on occasion  wink.gif Rupert Gould is a terrific talent. He'd be a fantastic replacement Associate Director for Dominic Cooke at the RSC.

Get a grip man !

I agree, but when I see him directing Macbeth at Chichester while the RSC are staging a decidedly dodgy production of their own in competition it makes me think this will not happen. We'll see.

#15 martin

martin

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:15 PM

Oh no agreeing with Jan again! it cannot last. It was obviously the relationship between Stewart and Goold that bought the Macbeth to the south coast plus it has given him the chance to do 12TH night as he was constantly moaning he wasnt offered comedic roles. There has been no mention of any replacement associates at the RSC. its just Greg Doran and Deborah Shaw thought I cant see her actually directing anything just yet. Anyhow Goold has just taken over at the old Oxford Stage Company. The next couple of years at Stratford will be interesting as they sort of tread water until the new main house and Swan reopen. I think there will be a few more co productions ad visiting companies, I for one would like to see the Stratford Ontario ensemble over here. I felt they were the one standout omission from the otherwise astonishing achievement that has been the Complete Works Festival.

#16 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(martin @ Mar 29 2007, 08:15 PM) View Post
Oh no agreeing with Jan again! it cannot last. It was obviously the relationship between Stewart and Goold that bought the Macbeth to the south coast plus it has given him the chance to do 12TH night as he was constantly moaning he wasnt offered comedic roles. There has been no mention of any replacement associates at the RSC. its just Greg Doran and Deborah Shaw thought I cant see her actually directing anything just yet. Anyhow Goold has just taken over at the old Oxford Stage Company. The next couple of years at Stratford will be interesting as they sort of tread water until the new main house and Swan reopen. I think there will be a few more co productions ad visiting companies, I for one would like to see the Stratford Ontario ensemble over here. I felt they were the one standout omission from the otherwise astonishing achievement that has been the Complete Works Festival.

Sorry for repeating myself, but RSC are also staging 12th Night in "competition" to the Chichester version. So, in fact, RSC could have accommodated Stewart if they had wanted to. Will be interesting to compare both pairs of productions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users