- - - - -

Booking Fees - The Fight-Back Continues!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

Good on Sarah Millican for making a stance

http://wos.im/QfK4G3
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#2 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

What's also very unfair is discrimination against those who go alone, e.g. offers of two-for-the-price-of-one which do not extend to half-price for solo patrons (Yvonne Arnaud Theatre, I'm looking at you) and theatres which don't allow you to book a single seat of your choice.  The Royal Court's website does this but if you ring, the Box Office staff can at least override the system for you; however, try it with a Delfont Mackintosh theatre and they absolutely refuse to let you book a seat if it will leave another single alongside.  How can they get away with this nowadays?

#3 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

I really like Sarah Millican, and now she's done this I think I love her. Good on her.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#4 Palatio

Palatio

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

good for her.

No idea why the service charge is there - when booking electonically there is minimal person interaction (less than when you go in person to the box office - for which there is often no service charge!). Just greedy theatre groups basically.

On the subject of rip offs, I recall getting told off by one over-zealous usher at a London theatre for bringing in my own water - he said we were not allowed to do this but we could purchase from their bar or their sellers. At the scandalous prices they charge????? So I stood my ground and of course nothing happened. I never understand why people want to pay up to £3 for a small bottle of water when they can buy the same stuff for pennies from a supermarket - planning ahead a little.......

#5 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

Oh how I hate ATG, the fact that the booking fee is different depending on if it is a play or a musical is laughable. I used to have an ATG loyalty card, but there are never any offers anymore (as a person who generally goes to the theatre alone agree about the 2 for 1). I will simply book at the box office in the future.

Looking at booking Blue/Orange in Manchester, £10 ticket has a £5.90 booking fee. Not surprising they have hardly sold any tickets.

#6 bex1210

bex1210

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

I resent paying booking fees. I'm the 1 doing the booking why do I have to pay to do it. I can kind of understand box office booking fees because someone if helping you do it but not online booking.

#7 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

Nice one, it's artists/companies etc who can make the stand. And yes who with all this equality legislation around can they treat single seat bookers differently and since there seem to be so many of us single bookers surely we'd buy the last single seat anyway!

#8 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

My local theatre is awful with single seats. I turned up 30mins or so before curtain up to get a ticket, but the only stalls tix available were either pairs or groups of four. They wouldn't sell me a single seat as it would leave another single seat, or a group of 3, and that's their "policy". How ridiculous is that, 30 mins before curtain up? They'd rather have 2 empty seats than 1.

#9 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

I genuinely believe that the business (!) of refusing to sell single tickets and/or charging a set fee per transaction, not per ticket, is discriminatory.   I bet if someone had the time and energy to go as far as the European Court, it would be found to be unfair and outlawed.   But maybe a public campaign (including, perhaps, naming and shaming the offenders and praising any theatres which perform well in this respect, if there are any) would be quicker and more effective.  As for theatres which charge not one but TWO fees (Rose Theatre, Kingston), do they seriously expect any business from solo theatregoers?

#10 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

View PostPalatio, on 17 September 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

good for her.

On the subject of rip offs, I recall getting told off by one over-zealous usher at a London theatre for bringing in my own water - he said we were not allowed to do this but we could purchase from their bar or their sellers. At the scandalous prices they charge????? So I stood my ground and of course nothing happened. I never understand why people want to pay up to £3 for a small bottle of water when they can buy the same stuff for pennies from a supermarket - planning ahead a little.......

WHAT?? Name and shame please

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users