- - - - -

Booking Fees - The Fight-Back Continues!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostMatthew Winn, on 25 September 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

It's easy to justify the various supplementary charges and fees: "We have an absolute monopoly and you have to play the game our way or not at all, so we'll charge whatever the hell we like and you'll suck it up". They may dress it up in fancy talk about administration costs and providing services, but that's what they're saying.

I'd respect them more if they said this rather than all the fancy tosh

#22 mrsherlockholmes

mrsherlockholmes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

I believe that theatres do a percentage split of the box office takings with the visiting company eg 70%/30%.  By imposing booking fees and restoration levies the theatre can gain extra income without sharing it with the visiting company.

#23 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

View Postmrsherlockholmes, on 26 September 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

I believe that theatres do a percentage split of the box office takings with the visiting company eg 70%/30%.  By imposing booking fees and restoration levies the theatre can gain extra income without sharing it with the visiting company.

I've never known a theatre work in that way. What is more standard is for a hire rate to be arranged, the box office to take a commission on sales and the balance to be settled between the theatre and company after the event. Booking fees etc tend to stick with the theatre itself, rather than the visiting company.

#24 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

I was more than a little peeved recently when booking tickets for 3 shows (in person) at Bradford Alhambra with a £50 gift token to be charged an extra £1 per ticket!Surely it should be £1 per transaction?They all shot out of the machine together...

#25 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

You guys would of had a fit if you'd been booking tickets for the Rolling Stones at the 02. Tickets were between £106 and £406, with a booking fee of £31 per ticket. Madness!

#26 Michael

Michael

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

I'm stunned at some of the booking fees quoted on Theatremonkey for Twelfth Night at the Apollo: See Tickets charge a £15 per ticket fee (+ £2.75 per booking) for top price (£75) seats. Encore Tickets charge up to £20 fee per ticket (+ £2 if you want it posted).

#27 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2087 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

Seems fairly common that some of the agencies charge "premium prices" for scarce tickets and claim it's a booking fee.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#28 Lover

Lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 10 October 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

I've never known a theatre work in that way. What is more standard is for a hire rate to be arranged, the box office to take a commission on sales and the balance to be settled between the theatre and company after the event. Booking fees etc tend to stick with the theatre itself, rather than the visiting company.

Actually both ways work. Depends on the show.

Amdram almost always do hire rates, because it guarentees the theatre will cover their fees (ok of course recharges still to be added)
Professional that will do "well" will quite often do  a split percentage on the sales.

Really depends on the product.

#29 musicals fan

musicals fan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

I have spotted that ENO are doing their best to recover their losses:

*Booking Fees

Online booking fee £1.75 per transaction. Telephone and postal booking fee £3.50 per transaction. No fee when booking in person at the Box Office.

#30 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'm always amused by the zero fee for booking in person. I suppose the phone and postal bookings go via external organisations who have to be paid whereas if you show up at the BO they don't need to charge you for using the other company's air.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users