- - - - -

Booking Fees - The Fight-Back Continues!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 18 February 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

I'm always amused by the zero fee for booking in person. I suppose the phone and postal bookings go via external organisations who have to be paid whereas if you show up at the BO they don't need to charge you for using the other company's air.
  I do wonder how long any other organisation would last if they charged you for the product and then again for the privilege of buying the product. Though queues at Tescos would be entertaining

#32 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 18 February 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

I'm always amused by the zero fee for booking in person. I suppose the phone and postal bookings go via external organisations who have to be paid whereas if you show up at the BO they don't need to charge you for using the other company's air.
Unless you live in Cambridge, in which case the Arts Theatre charge you the £2 booking fee even if you book in person at the box office. I therefore insist on booking online so at least they have to do some work for the money!

#33 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Looks like someone at the Advertising Standards Agency was reading this thread http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-21598545
www.frontrowdress.com

#34 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Yes, brilliant, and long overdue.  Now maybe there'll also be some movement on the single seats issue?

#35 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

Interesting comments on this on the Guardian article on the subject, including a number on something that annoys me - the automatic adding of "donations" which you have to de-select by some organisations
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#36 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Yeah, they even ask donations or rather have it already in the box for people who already donate and ask on the phone too.

#37 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

And while we're on that subject, how about repeated mailshots from certain theatres, also asking for donations or suggesting joining expensive and useless membership schemes?  I've been very fed up with Hampstead Theatre in particular for this as they won't allow me the concession rate for the main house, so I can't afford to go there any more, yet still they ask ME for money!

#38 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

View Postxanderl, on 27 February 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

Interesting comments on this on the Guardian article on the subject, including a number on something that annoys me - the automatic adding of "donations" which you have to de-select by some organisations
Just booked seats for The Scottsboro Boys at the Young Vic and a £50 membership was already pre-selected. If I'd wanted one I'd have bought it days ago and had a better choice of seats - although to be fair there were lots of great seats available anyway. And, to get back on topic, no booking fees!

But please stop adding things automatically I don't want!
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#39 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

It did that to me when I did a test booking before booking opened but not this morning, so maybe a bug?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#40 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Booking for that show was only open to members before public booking opened this morning, so it was sensible of the Young Vic to preselect membership for people not logged in as members who were attempting to book at that time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users