- - - - -

Booking Fees - The Fight-Back Continues!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thanks, that's really good info - def sounds like something worth giving a try.

#62 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostCoggit, on 24 April 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

If you sign up for West End theatre news, you also get offers for their West End theatres (like half price), but from what I understand they're rare. I haven't been a member long enough to find out how rare though...

That's good to know as well, thanks. How do I sign up for West End theatre news? (or is that info I'll get once my card arrives (soon, hopefully)?)

#63 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

I've not made much use of the half prices offers and the like but between no booking fees and 10% off at the bar at all venues I've easily made back the £30 the ATG Card costs.

#64 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

My local theatre is ATG run. I have looked at the membership card but basically the only deals are early in the week. So I suppose it's OK if you like going to the theatre on a Monday night for the 2 for 1 or half price offers - 3 shows will cover the cost of the card but other than Monday nights there is no saving. Still much cheaper to go to the pub across the road than get 10% off the exorbitant drinks prices in the theatre!

#65 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 02 May 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

My local theatre is ATG run. I have looked at the membership card but basically the only deals are early in the week. So I suppose it's OK if you like going to the theatre on a Monday night for the 2 for 1 or half price offers - 3 shows will cover the cost of the card but other than Monday nights there is no saving. Still much cheaper to go to the pub across the road than get 10% off the exorbitant drinks prices in the theatre!

The majority of shows which comes through my local 2 ATG theatres have deals mid week also. It is usually Mondays that are 50% off, granted, however most other shows have £5-12.50 during mid-weeks performances also. There are, however never deals on the weekend.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#66 Cyrano

Cyrano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

I think that the only way to beat the booking fees etc is either to vote with your feet and go to the box office in person or to not book at all. Unfortunately, ATG (which seems to be the main culprit on this thread) is no longer a theatre organisation; it is a ticketing agency which owns theatres which gives it a monopoly on ticketing in those venues. I did read that last year ATG made £15 million in profits, but after bank interest charges had been taken off, this was reduced to £180,000. With margins like this, ATG cannot afford to reduce it's ticketing charges and the only way that this can happen is if producers stop taking the hit shows to ATG venues.

On a lighter note... it is fantastic to see that THE FULL MONTY has announced that it is coming to the West End with no booking fees, restoration levies etc. Maybe the fight back has begun!

#67 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostCyrano, on 20 May 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

I did read that last year ATG made £15 million in profits, but after bank interest charges had been taken off, this was reduced to £180,000.
Creative accounting. They should be hauled up in front of the PAC like the Google/Amazon bunch. It's common in the arts, it's why high-grade actors always ask to be paid a % of the gross rather than a % of the profits - famously Alec Guinness getting (I think) 5% of the Star Wars gross and Trev getting a similar % of the "Cats" gross.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users