#1 Montmartre

Montmartre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

Very excited about this new venue and have our tickets for the above show.
Intimate theatre with 312 seats.

(First there is a play by Sandy Toksvig "Bully Boy")

www.stjamestheatre.co.uk

#2 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Just booked too, looks really interesting.

#3 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

I'm seeing a preview this week.  On the theatre's own site there's a link to a track I don't really like, but an online search revealed lots more, most of which I do, so that's promising.

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

Time Out offer for 50% off tickets until November 6th

http://uk-offers.tim...m_source=311012
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#5 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

But (slightly) better deal on Bargaintheatreland!  Pay a straight £20 and no voucher involved - book directly with theatre, again, to 6 Nov only.

#6 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Thanks, wasn't aware of that site, added to my bookmarks!

Wonder if St James will rethink pricing for next season - clearly isn't working
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#7 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

I do hope the St James management rethink the pricing as indeed it isn't working for them or us.  I'm sure they'd rather advance bookings improved, whilst we would book ahead if the prices were more affordable AND we could rely on these not being undercut by subsequent offers.  A few, limited offers would be fine, but not the wholesale discounting which seems to have been the case so far - this offends potential members of the customer base the theatre needs to establish.

#8 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

I am taking 4 kids and another mum to see this show tomorrow. Very excited about both this new theatre and the musical itself whose original novel is very well known and loved in my own country.

I agree £35-40 tk prices are a bit too much for a theatre of this type. I'd say £25 is more like it.

#9 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Saw this yesterday & really enjoyed it.

A two hander, a bit like the recent Little Women one off concert in style & tone, the story told in a series of letters. I was worried that it would be a bit dry, but it was a good story , lovely music & the two performers Megan Mc Guiness & Robert Adelman Hancock were amazing. Some of the songs are a bit samey, but I enjoyed them and the vocal performances were flawless. A really charming little show, one which I would recommend. Beautifully staged too.

The St James theatre is quite impressive, smallish & built like a lecture theatre (if a lecture theatre can have comfy red plush seats!) with very steep rake & cosy atmosphere. The building is smart & modern, with a nice bar. Like to check out new theatres & enjoyed this one, though they do seemed to have pitched themselves as very "upmarket".

#10 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Saw today's matinee and was very impressed. Everytning was just lovely. Stage set, mini-orchestra, script, staging and acting. Megan McGinnis' singing was particularly excellent. Loved the kind of classy laughs John Caird's script provided.

Theatre itself was very nice too, though the cafe and restaurant looked a bit too posh (still very very nice). But they only had 4 cubicles in the Ladies. New building, missed opportunity. I'm sure the architect was a MAN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users