38 replies to this topic

#11 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

SHk where have you been, I've missed your posts? I saw this  yesterday too and adored it. It reminded me so much of Howard Goodall's Love Story in tone and the two young leads, who created the roles in the US originally, are perfect. My companion echoed your thoughts on the St James ladies loos, one thing a new theare should really have got right. I've posted a gushing rave on my blog http://www.frontrowd...es-theatre.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#12 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Supposedly they have some secret loos to open if they get busy. Guess they haven't got busy yet!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#13 theatremonkey.com

theatremonkey.com

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Theatre itself was very nice too, But they only had 4 cubicles in the Ladies. New building, missed opportunity. I'm sure the architect was a MAN.

There is a massive 10 cubicle "Ladies" on the lower level.* Come out of the main auditorium, turn to your left and go down the stairs to the left of the box office.

*I counted them when I did the venue review. Hasten to add, the venue was closed at the time. I think also these extra facilities were mentioned in a thread on the "Plays" section.

#14 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

I was thinking of seeing this (love the book despite its slightly dodgy overtones of grooming) but the prices :o . Does anyone know of any offers (it doesn't seem to be selling out...)

#15 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

I went to the matinee yesterday and the seating is definitely not suited to anyone with Long Legs !! apart from a few seats in Row B that had nothing in front of them the rest of the seating is awful for long legged people ... the theatre itself is nice just not the seating for long legs !

#16 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 02 November 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

I was thinking of seeing this (love the book despite its slightly dodgy overtones of grooming) but the prices :o . Does anyone know of any offers (it doesn't seem to be selling out...)

Yes, see earlier in the thread - current offers run to 6th Nov, no doubt more will appear
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#17 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

View Postxanderl, on 02 November 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Yes, see earlier in the thread - current offers run to 6th Nov, no doubt more will appear

Doh! I didn't think to look back over the thread. An affordable ticket shall be mine! Thanks very much.

#18 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostFront Row Dress, on 02 November 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

SHk where have you been, I've missed your posts?

Thank you for missing my posts! I could not find time to visit this site for a while.

I read your review and found myself nodding to almost everything you said, except, instead of thinking of Love Story, I was thinking of Jane Eyre the musical, which is not surprising that both heroines are orphans and both musicals were written and directed by the same people. Both of them had a month-long run each in Japan this autumn (JE was a revival) to very favourable reviews (or my mole in Japan told me so).

Anyway, as you said, the two actors played their roles so convincingly that I was sucked into their world right from the beginning through to the end. They made us care what happened to them, didn't they? Although I knew the story inside out, the last scene still made me weep a little.

The auditorium was about 80% full, and most of us stood up for ovation. I think the entire team deserved it.

Finally, thank you everyone for the useful tip about the ladies downstairs. I briefly wondered what was down there, but did not enquire. I shall not tell this secret to anyone so that I can have the bathroom all to myself next time I visit the theatre (no, just joking).

#19 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Just back from seeing, and wholeheartedly enjoying this.  It might seem an odd comparison, but for me it was everything that Victor/Victoria wasn't:  engaging,appealing, tuneful and so on.  The story might be sentimental and full of homespun wisdom but this was a show with a heart.  Even worth enduring again those cramped seats  - which were the subject of many adverse comments from others this evening.

#20 Montmartre

Montmartre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

Saw this at Saturday matinée & would think roughly half full.

Absolutely loved it. Makes a change to be able to hear all the sung words. They really complemented each other. What demanding role she has - non-stop for the whole show, and such a beautiful voice. Thought I would be bored with only two in the cast, but I was truly captivated, and must see it agan. The music is lovely.

Loved the venue, especially the staircase to the upstairs. Found the ten toilets downstairs. Funny thing there - when you go in the light comes on automativcally and so does water from two of the handbasins! Faulty wiring?

The only gripe as has been previously mentioned - tiny legroom, such a pity, as the seats are comfy. The restaurant looked expensive to me.

Oh yes - the audience, small as it was, was extremely appreciative with great applause at the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users