• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Frieda

Frieda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

Hi, I'm a new poster, although lurked for some time. I knew the book from my childhood and found this absolutely delightful. Two wonderful leads plus the sound levels and orchestra were great. It's not one where goes out singing the songs but reflected the spirit of the book charmingly. The book itself is no simplistic girly novel but has political and social bite. It's also very unusual (for me at least) to see a two hander musical. I'd be very interested to know how young boys react to it - young girls in the audience when I went seemed enthralled but was wondering whether it would appeal to boys?

#22 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Agree with all Frieda's points and yes, regarding the political and social content, it's hard to believe that the story is set 100 years ago.  Shaming to realise that thinking was so advanced then but that we seem to be little further forward now in many respects, e.g. education for women, treatment of children in care, etc.

#23 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

Very positive review from The Guardian

#24 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

and from Mark Shenton in the Stage http://www.thestage....daddy-long-legs
www.frontrowdress.com

#25 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Be interesting to correlate the positivity of the review with the height of the critic for this theatre
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#26 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

You can now book best available Mon - Fri and Sat mats for £15 (see Bargain Theatreland).  This is a great deal, but even cheaper than the deal offered for previews - shows how wrong this theatre's pricing/marketing is.  I'm pleased that others will now be even more likely to see it (i.e. the unanimously enthusiastic reviews should already have encouraged people), but since when were preview deals dearer than those for the main run?

#27 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

Saw this the other night - enjoyed it at £20, wouldn't have enjoyed it at £35!

But the seats are so uncomfortable! I'd been warned by comments here about the legroom but didn't expect them to be like an instrument of torture. It would have to be something pretty special to entice me to put my knees through that experience again.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#28 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

I agree about the legroom, as do others here, but when I first mentioned it, one poster said he didn't see the issue.  I can only conclude that he was short or had sat in one of the few seats with none in front.  Wish the theatre would acknowledge the pricing and legroom issues!

#29 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

I am of average male height, admittedly, but I had absolutely no issues with leg room.  I was sat in great seats, though (row E), so perhaps that's why I had no problem?

(I didn't mean that to sound as smug as it does)

#30 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

I had no problem with the legroom either, but I am quite small! I thought the seating was really comfy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users