38 replies to this topic

#31 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hah!  Row E was precisely where I sat last Saturday and I think on my previous visit I was in that one or F.  I'm only 5'8" and I was horribly cramped.

#32 Montmartre

Montmartre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

We were in Row F.

Just realised "Daddy Long Legs" - very inappropriate for this theatre, as you need "short" legs!

(Hope to see it again though).

#33 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

My legs are only about 2"-long, so didn't suffer at all. My children and their friends (aged 7-9) sat separately from their mums in those bits of Row B which have no seats in front..... They didn't seem to be cramped.

As for reviews, I only read the one in The Times which gave this show only 3 stars saying it's too sugary. Hummmm. I am glad that other papers gave it better reviews which it deserves.

Having said that, another mum whom I bumped into (yes, it was the half-term week) said that it was not lively enough with only two performers. Maybe it's too quiet if what you want is an in-your-face entertaiment (which is nothing wrong in itself) rather than something that makes you feel what the characters are feeling and go through the journey together.

#34 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2540 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostSHk, on 11 November 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

My legs are only about 2"-long, so didn't suffer at all..

If your legs are truly only 5cm long, I expect I've seen you on some shock-you tv documentary.

#35 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 11 November 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

If your legs are truly only 5cm long, I expect I've seen you on some shock-you tv documentary.

This made me laugh so much!  I meant 2 feet. My soles often don't touch the floor when I'm seated whether in a theatre or train.

#36 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

For you every theatre must feel like the Jermyn Street theatre!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#37 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

i'm 5ft9 and i've sat in the front row twice and not had a problem

the production is very good, although i've seen john caird's trunks several times before! loved the two actors, such tour de force i would love to see them again. band and the sound is also really good.

the story is great although i didn't warm to the sugary ending. i wanted a snap, think pygmalion meets eugene onegin ... i thought a good chance to make a feminist point was missed and we got a disney ending. Also quite a few kiddies in tonight, who seemed to love it but i do wonder what the parents are saying to them about grooming on the way home ...

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#38 ajblowing

ajblowing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

In the great leg room debate, I have to say I side with those for whom it wasn't a problem.  I'm 5' 11 and sitting in row L I thought while not exactly spacious, the seats themselves were very comfortable. Would have liked to have been sitting a few row closer though - event though I was only 12 rows back, the view from there is akin to the first row from the dress circle in some theatres, due to the very steep rake.

As for the production, I hadn't even heard of the novel this was based on before going but was excited to see Megan McGinnis as I'd always enjoyed her voice on the Little Women cast recording.  In all, I was very pleasantly surprised by how utterly charming this show is - I think you can pick holes in the sugary nature of some of it but while watching I really got swept up in the relationship between Jerusha and Jervis and carried along by the tuneful score.

I also think it's amazing how well the 2 leads hold the attention over the course of 2 hours and Megan really is outstanding. Her Jerusha Abbott must be one of the most flat out likeable characters ever in musical theatre (aided by a wonderful voice) and I think she would be an awards contender if this weren't in such a 'minor' theatre!

It would also be a great uplifting Christmas show to take kids to, just a shame that it's closing on the 3rd December.

#39 Montmartre

Montmartre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Classical Music

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Closes 8 December.

I totally agree she should win an award.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users