- - - - -

Wicked Day Tickets - Last Few Weeks Before Cast Change...?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
213 replies to this topic

#31 Dorothy

Dorothy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE(holler @ Apr 14 2009, 07:30 PM) View Post
A homemade Kerry ellis bag??? Yeah, sure the cast know who they are... they have their pictures up inside the stage door with a big red WARNING - AVOID AT ALL COSTS label over the top of it.

I'm pretty sure they actually do. I know that the cast are quite well informed on fans either way.
QUOTE(guest @ Apr 14 2009, 11:09 PM) View Post
Im sorry ive got to ask again- do they actually live rough on the streets of London for weeks! I mean sleep on the street, get up, get food, eat it in there place, sit there all day, then go to sleep again in the same spot for a week!?!? They're mostly kids arent they!?!? Are they seriously living rough for a week!?! Sorry, but i can see people doing it for a night, for a laugh on a big occasion sure, but a week! What the ****! biggrin.gif

Same, I don't get when people camp for like a week in advance at cast changes... do they just put their lives on hold for it? I wouldn't be able to get a week off work just to see a musical and then there's things like school/college/uni? If they're young don't their parents care? It might be a little hyperbolic, but London isn't renown for its lack of violence.

Camping comes across as a pointless inconvenience to me. I think they see it as a sort of 'passing of rites' social event or something, though - kind of like "you must camp for cast change tickets/center row seats or you don't deserve them".

#32 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:36 PM

Its the sense of entitlement that pisses me off most. Ive never out right experience this, but have read many stories about it. I think it only occurs in the day seats queue but seriously if some 15 yr old kid was telling me i couldnt get a certain seat because i hadnt been to see the show 15 plus times i would lose my shit big time! We dont all happen to live in London, and we dont all have parents that are rich buggers who can fund trips. I live in Cornwall, if i go to a show it will cost upwards of 100 and thats with getting a sleeper train home, not even staying overnight in London, so they can jog on if they think they have more right to a ticket than me, i bet i save longer, plan further in advance and ultimately i bet it means more to me to be there because its such a treat to be able to make the trip. Sorry for the rant but if i encounter any such behaviour when i day ticket next week they are going to get such a reality check i swear.

#33 Dorothy

Dorothy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE(guest @ Apr 15 2009, 12:36 AM) View Post
Its the sense of entitlement that pisses me off most. Ive never out right experience this, but have read many stories about it. I think it only occurs in the day seats queue but seriously if some 15 yr old kid was telling me i couldnt get a certain seat because i hadnt been to see the show 15 plus times i would lose my shit big time! We dont all happen to live in London, and we dont all have parents that are rich buggers who can fund trips. I live in Cornwall, if i go to a show it will cost upwards of 100 and thats with getting a sleeper train home, not even staying overnight in London, so they can jog on if they think they have more right to a ticket than me, i bet i save longer, plan further in advance and ultimately i bet it means more to me to be there because its such a treat to be able to make the trip. Sorry for the rant but if i encounter any such behaviour when i day ticket next week they are going to get such a reality check i swear.

I don't understand why people don't tell them to shut up either. I've never had any problems, but if one of them tried to talk down to me I'd certainly alert them that some people have lives outside Wicked and have better things to do than arranging the next camping trip while discussing Kerry Ellis' hair and dog on a pretentious forum. I've seen certain shows quite a few times myself, but I don't feel it makes me better than someone who hasn't. I don't think I'd otherwise care, but it's the fact they act self-righteous and assertive that bugs me - it seems they're desperate to make it apparent they're part of what they probably think is some esoteric clique.

#34 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:43 AM

Apparently there's a girl who uses her illness to get backstage (its not terminal btw). She writes letters saying stuff like 'hey I have this disease and its my dream to go backstage' to Kerry and the rest of the cast as a weird way of getting backstage. Its quite disgusting really that someone would do that, theres not really any reason to bring up that you have a disease to cast members of a musical you like unless you knew them.
I always hear about crazy fangirls camping aswell. At the cast change last year some girl who was camping for the entire week got ran over midweek and refused to go to hospital so she wouldnt miss the show that day! Though i bet she went on to tell the cast all about it first chance she got.

#35 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:09 AM

Oh my god are you serious!? Some girl got run over! This is insane, but also really quite funny laugh.gif  

Have to say if thats true that some girl was using her illness to get backstage thats a bit weird. It does kind of depend on whats wrong with her i guess, because if its debilatating in some way which means that she wont be able to prehaps pursue an interest in the theatre as much as others then i can see how its a nice thing to take her backstage etc, but i do admit that its odd to make that request yourself. Has it actually worked? Not that im going to try it! laugh.gif  
I suppose the actors have to be accomodating to all this though otherwise they get trashed talked by people. Ive heard some disgruntled fans say Kerry Ellis is stuck up etc etc at stage door, i dont think she appears that way at all. I think sometimes people mistake the fact that performers get up on stage for the fact that they will have confidence and be very outgoing in everyday life. Just because they sing on stage each night doesnt mean they will necessarily be comfortable with all the request that might come their way at stage door.
Anyway i doubt the cast pay any attention to all this nonsence anyway, i mean Kerry Ellis must obviously love that she has a strong following because it enables her to do things like her Shaw Theatre concerts, i highly doubt she is ungrateful towards any section of her fanbase, she may be a little freaked out by some things but i doubt it crosses her mind much, at the end of the day performers have their own lives to deal with, and its a job as well so they come at the whole thing from a very different angle to everyone else that its not 'work' for.

#36 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 15 2009, 01:43 AM) View Post
Apparently there's a girl who uses her illness to get backstage (its not terminal btw). She writes letters saying stuff like 'hey I have this disease and its my dream to go backstage' to Kerry and the rest of the cast as a weird way of getting backstage. Its quite disgusting really that someone would do that, theres not really any reason to bring up that you have a disease to cast members of a musical you like unless you knew them.

A few years ago - around the time of Kiss Me, Kate - there was a woman who went around with bandages on her arms claiming that she had loads of stitches in them and therefore needed an aisle seat so she could spread out or she'd be in too much pain to watch the show, and she was so ill she wouldn't be able to return another time, and she didn't know how much longer she'd be able to keep going to the theatre, and she was going to die soon, and the whole sob story thing, complete with tears. In theatres with a centre aisle she used it to get people who'd booked central seats to swap with her so she could get a better seat than the one she'd bought. Curiously, whenever I saw her in theatres with no central aisle she didn't need to relocate to the end of the row and was perfectly capable of sitting in the middle. Evidently her poor stitch-ridden arms only played up when it would get her a better seat rather than a worse one. To my knowledge she spent at least a year and a half doing this. Infuriatingly, it often worked.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#37 strallenfan

strallenfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:00 AM

While I'm sure Kerry appreciates her fanbase and their loyalty [or their loyalty while she's still Elphaba, we'll see how they act once she's left for good] I'm sure as hell she doesn't appreciate the things her so called fanbase say about her or ever to her. I'm a huge fan of the show and the cast, been numerous times but until cast change, I shall refuse to go to stage door. Which is a shame, as I'd quite like to meet Kerry. But the people that go week after week, stage door before and after the show, wear all the merchandise, act like they know the cast etc etc.

The thing is, with other shows, it's totally possible to forge a bond with the cast if you've seen the show a lot. Because most other show's fans arent crazy and will have a decent conversation with a performer and get to know them over a period of time. It can happen but the key is to know your boundries. There is no way I'd stalk any cast home like they did with Kerry. There's no way I'd ask any inappropriate questions. There's no way that I'd stand at Stage door before AND after a show, ask for numerous pictures and get every thing I own signed by the cast. I wouldn't do it because THAT'S what sets the crazies from the non crazies. I mean, do they really need 100x programmes signed? No.

I will say, sometimes innocent people get misunderstood at SD. I went to say hello to Summer quite a lot at Sound of Music because she has got to know us and it feels rude to go to a show and not go and say hi after. She'd come say hi to us when she came out and then we used to stand to the side while she signed merch/take pictures with whoever was at SD [and it was never more than 5ish people] to wait for her to come over and have a little chat and the looks we got were ridiculous. So that CAN work both ways. Sometimes cast have come out the door and met with people they knew and the fans have thrown daggers with their eyes at these people like "HOW DARE YOU STEAL MY CAST AWAY FROM ME!!!!". It's quite sad really.

And dayqueue. Don't even get me started on that madness. To be told you're in a certain seat because you haven't seen it enough is ridiculous.

#38 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE(cat123 @ Apr 14 2009, 09:55 PM) View Post
I know who you're talking about, does that make me one of them?! I thought I'd say hi last week, give them a chance, but the minute someone started bitching about Andy Mace being a jerk and how they "wouldn't be suprised if he was ASKED to leave at CC" I was like EXCUSE ME?! And got quite angry. Internally I might add, I wouldn't rise to the bait to their faces laugh.gif

There's no way I'm SD'ing cast change. Though I might point and laugh from across the street.

I think you are being really mean, everyone is entitled to their opinion on Andy Mace, I love him on stage and I also think he is a fantastic wizard and makes me laugh everytime. I have had good and not so good stage door experiences with him. I think he is very good at his job and doesnt like stage door but hey thats fine its his time once the show ends and if he wants to leave thats up to him. There is a rumour going around that he was asked to leave at CC and yes I did comment on it as did many other people that day. You obviously have your own opinion of him and that is fine but you cant have a go at people for having a different opinion to you it doesnt work like that. Most of the time when I am at stage door I am there with my friends (some of which are 'fangirls') but that doesnt stop me being their friends even if that does get me labelled at a fangirl. At the end of the day I LOVE Wicked and the whole meanings in the show, I love the performers and yes I think Kerry is fantastic and I will be seeing her in other things but at the same time I will still be seeing Wicked purely for the fact I really enjoy watching the show.

QUOTE(strallenfan @ Apr 15 2009, 07:00 AM) View Post
While I'm sure Kerry appreciates her fanbase and their loyalty [or their loyalty while she's still Elphaba, we'll see how they act once she's left for good] I'm sure as hell she doesn't appreciate the things her so called fanbase say about her or ever to her. I'm a huge fan of the show and the cast, been numerous times but until cast change, I shall refuse to go to stage door. Which is a shame, as I'd quite like to meet Kerry. But the people that go week after week, stage door before and after the show, wear all the merchandise, act like they know the cast etc etc.

The thing is, with other shows, it's totally possible to forge a bond with the cast if you've seen the show a lot. Because most other show's fans arent crazy and will have a decent conversation with a performer and get to know them over a period of time. It can happen but the key is to know your boundries. There is no way I'd stalk any cast home like they did with Kerry. There's no way I'd ask any inappropriate questions. There's no way that I'd stand at Stage door before AND after a show, ask for numerous pictures and get every thing I own signed by the cast. I wouldn't do it because THAT'S what sets the crazies from the non crazies. I mean, do they really need 100x programmes signed? No.

I will say, sometimes innocent people get misunderstood at SD. I went to say hello to Summer quite a lot at Sound of Music because she has got to know us and it feels rude to go to a show and not go and say hi after. She'd come say hi to us when she came out and then we used to stand to the side while she signed merch/take pictures with whoever was at SD [and it was never more than 5ish people] to wait for her to come over and have a little chat and the looks we got were ridiculous. So that CAN work both ways. Sometimes cast have come out the door and met with people they knew and the fans have thrown daggers with their eyes at these people like "HOW DARE YOU STEAL MY CAST AWAY FROM ME!!!!". It's quite sad really.

And dayqueue. Don't even get me started on that madness. To be told you're in a certain seat because you haven't seen it enough is ridiculous.

I can relate to you in some way because I stand to the side alot at Wicked Stage door because I have developed a nice relationshiop with two or three of the ensemble and we have little chats and not always about Wicked other things in general life as well. Alot of people dont like it and stand there giving evil looks cos they dont like it but alot of the time we can just be stood there and the ensemble members will come up to us anyway wether we see them or not.  I do go down the line as well if none of the main cast have come out whilst I have been talking but not always.

People seem to get labelled 'fangirl' for all sorts of reasons some which are just and others which aren't. There are fans of most shows in the westend but Wicked seems to have one of the biggests bases I have seen. I have seen loads of fans at WWRY stage door some of them creepy but the way I see it is they enjoy the show and appreciate the actors and are having fun so why label them they aren't doing anyone any harm. I never went to the theatre before I saw Wicked but I really can#t believe the bitchiness there is on the theatre scene, its like being in a playground sometimes and I am sure the horrible comments I read are coming from adults and not form the "crazies" it does make me wonder who is crazier.

One way people to get over your dislike for fans of any show is Don't go if you dont like it dont go and put yourself through it. Everyone has a right to be at shows no matter what you all label them!

#39 Dorothy

Dorothy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

All the fangirls stand that side of the stage door. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvQZctTgxJs I suppose the "we saw you trip last week!!!" is the idea that fans like that, from that Noone But You forum or whatever it's called where they think they're friends with the cast, seem to believe is a conversation. And Kerry's expression following it means "we're best friends".

#40 strallenfan

strallenfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:06 AM

I'm a member at NOBY and while I hardly post there, I get angry that that forum gets all the flack and they are not the crazy ones, most of the girls there are actually genuinely nice people. It's the other forum thats the crazy place.

And I think Cat meant that she didn't like that they were being mean about Andy as a person. It's fine if they don't like him as a performer on that stage because as you said, everyone is allowed their own opinion. But labelling him as a jerk is out of order, they don't know him offstage afterall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users