13 replies to this topic

#1 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

As this was extensively commented on when it was at the Royal Court I'll skip a review - except to say that the play is wonderful and Tamsin Greig is astonishing - and just note that there are ten pound day seats - rows AA and BB - at the Duke of York's theatre.  Both have good views of the relatively low raked stage but I would opt for BB if given the choice because a stage extension somewhat impedes on the first row space.

For those - like me - who love to be up close this is the number one theatrical bargain in town!
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#2 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Anyone know of any student concessions available for this?

#3 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

The first row at the Royal Court had views up people's skirts. I am just mentioning it if that's your thing. For £10, I would love to see it again. Although the cute young man they had in the original production isn't in the West End transfer. (Despite appearances, I don't have a dirty mind, honest).

When I was picking my Love and Information tickets at the Royal Court box office on Monday, the girl in front of me had showed up for her tickets, thinking that Jumpy was actually playing at the Royal Court. It was already 7:20, she got a bit freaked out when the mistake was explained to her.

#4 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Anyone know what the day seat queues are like for this? How many day seats are released?
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#5 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

I got to the theatre at about 9.50 last Saturday and was 10th in line which was fine but Saturday is a two show day.  I didn't count the seats but Theatre Monkey will have that info.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#6 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

Need some help on this decision. Would you recommend Jumpy or Hedda Gabler at the Old Vic? Never seen either play before. Thanks in advance.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#7 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Both are great. Jumpy is a fun comedy, Hedda is an intense psychological drama so depends what mood you are in!

"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#8 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

As well as your mood, it also depends on how you drew up your shortlist of these two shows. Perhaps you were attracted to the two big lead performances by women, in which case you're torn between Tamsin Greig and Sheridan Smith.

Another consideration might be which you'd be happier to miss. Tamsin Greig in Jumpy is reprising her premiere performance and the play might never be staged again and, even if it is later revived, you might think a new lead second best. On the other hand, Hedda Gabler will probably continue to be regularly produced and so there will be plenty of future chances to see the play, in different productions with different casts.

#9 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Saw Jumpy, thought it was ok. Not revolutionary...amusing, quite good fun but as a middle aged mother  of teenage daughters I didn't really feel it "spoke to me"! I am really looking forward to Hedda with Sheridan....

#10 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

I'd go for Hedda, Jumpy is ok but nothing more than that. Certainly not something to be annoyed about missing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users