158 replies to this topic

#131 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Easy to get tickets tody from the barbican wesbite. Compared to David Tennant's other plays!

#132 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

Barbican website is allowing booking now! I got through with no problems and booked two upper circle seats for Sat 18th Jan matinee.

I hope the bar in front of the circle isn't too bad - I forgot all about that until after I hit confirm!

#133 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

View Postzahidf, on 18 March 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

Easy to get tickets tody from the barbican wesbite. Compared to David Tennant's other plays!

I got into a lot of trouble for prophesying about his Much Ado, so I need to be careful.  But here I think I'm on more solid ground in thinking it's going to sell intensely to anyone and everyone who has more than a passing interest in the RSC recent work, but isn't quite the mass market proposition of his two other recent stage Shakespeares.

His Doctor Who is some years ago.  His subsequent TV work has been good, but none of it's set the world on fire, and he's now I gather appearing in television programmes on the commercial stations, which I forbid my wife and servants from watching.  Richard II isn't Hamlet, and the histories are for a general audience not quite the box office boffo of the better known tragedies and comedies.  Even amongst those that do know their Shakespeare, Richard II is probably seen by many (wrongly) as being a bit tricky, perhaps too tricky for your kids.

I booked the second full member booking opened, and all four of us are going.  For elder, the big Who fan, it'll be her second RII as well (she was blown away by the Redmayne/Grandage at the Donmar) and younger was sufficiently impressed by the recent Swan RIII as to think the Histories might be a good idea (although her pronouncement that Richard is her hero as he understands what it's like being a younger sibling may presage trouble later on).

But I suspect that for a general audience it doesn't have the allure of either Hamlet (everyone's heard of it, right?) or Much Ado (West End and a very common set work), which means that the audience will be that of a top-flight RSC production with good advance rumours, rather than a West End ticket sensation pulling in people who don't usually go to the RSC.

#134 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

I got a £10 gallery ticket at the Barbican for the final matinee no problem. Booked just a few minutes ago.

I'm not that desperate to see it, but at £10, it's worth having one in the bag in case it turns out to be v good.

#135 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

https://twitter.com/...603920725430273

#136 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostDuncan, on 18 March 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

I bet she keeps cats.

#137 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 18 March 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

I got a £10 gallery ticket at the Barbican for the final matinee no problem. Booked just a few minutes ago.

I'm not that desperate to see it, but at £10, it's worth having one in the bag in case it turns out to be v good.

Explain how you will know if it is any good unless you go? A while back someone on the forum ticked me off for waiting for reviews. But in any case, whose review would you rate? This board? The Evening Standard? Please enlighten me.

#138 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

View Postigb, on 18 March 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

I got into a lot of trouble for prophesying about his Much Ado, so I need to be careful.  But here I think I'm on more solid ground in thinking it's going to sell intensely to anyone and everyone who has more than a passing interest in the RSC recent work, but isn't quite the mass market proposition of his two other recent stage Shakespeares.

...which means that the audience will be that of a top-flight RSC production with good advance rumours, rather than a West End ticket sensation pulling in people who don't usually go to the RSC.

Which is all very good news. Although interestingly - or even proving the point - the Stratford run is practically sold out.

By the way, Broadchurch is fantastic.

P.S. I do find the comment about the tweet inappropriate or even sexist. We are all very quick to judge. I can only imagine what people think of my theatre habit / obsession / addiction.

#139 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

I don't think the fact that

View PostPoly, on 18 March 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Which is all very good news. Although interestingly - or even proving the point - the Stratford run is practically sold out.

By the way, Broadchurch is fantastic.

P.S. I do find the comment about the tweet inappropriate or even sexist. We are all very quick to judge. I can only imagine what people think of my theatre habit / obsession / addiction.
  Broadchurch really is brilliant. And he's got another new series coming up. I don't think anyone need worry about this not selling well.

#140 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

View Postigb, on 18 March 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

I bet she keeps cats.

You know, 8 times is really quite restrained, compared to how often some people who post on this forum go to their favourite show.

It's incredibly restrained compared to how often some on here go to the theatre!

And what's wrong with keeping cats?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users