158 replies to this topic

#21 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

All booked except for All's Well which starts a bit later on in the year. I too am looking forward to a decent Hamlet. Wasn't the last  one there thenToby Stephen's one? That was remarkable for its sword fight at the end.

By the way I discovered today that they farm out some tix to Ticketmaster which is all very well except that they give TM some of the best seats. I wanted particular seats for As You Like It on a Monday in June - well in advance and not the most popular day - and lo and behold they were not available as given to TM. They were the two dinky seats on the corner in the stalls which I discovered recently were crackers, raised, brilliant view and quite close without being in the actors' faces.

#22 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Wasn't the last Hamlet David Tennant, or did that not play Stratford? Lol I think Slinger is a bit young for Titus, although I was thinking when I saw Lear the other day at the Almeida that the 'old' characters were probably intended to be 40+ as Lear says something about being four score and upwards. I'd like to see a production of Titus or Lear where they are 40ish and the kids 16-18 although it would be hard to find young actors with the chops for it.

#23 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

The most recent RSC Hamlet was Dharmesh Patel in their 2010/11 YPS production.

Before him, Edward Bennett.

Who replaced David Tennant.

Toby (puke) Stephens was nearly ten years ago.

#24 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

View Postpaplazaroo, on 03 October 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Wasn't the last Hamlet David Tennant, or did that not play Stratford? Lol I think Slinger is a bit young for Titus, although I was thinking when I saw Lear the other day at the Almeida that the 'old' characters were probably intended to be 40+ as Lear says something about being four score and upwards. I'd like to see a production of Titus or Lear where they are 40ish and the kids 16-18 although it would be hard to find young actors with the chops for it.

Quick Shakespeare lesson for ya - a "score" is 20, so "four score and upwards" translates to modern English as "more than eighty years" :)

However, a young Lear could work arguably well - but why anyone aged 40ish would say "here kids, I want to retire, have my kingdom" without realising teenage feuds are worse than those in supposed adult life is something I'd have to ponder for a bit!

View PostTheatreMadGoer, on 02 October 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

Bertram is due to be played by Alex Waldmann, according to an inside RSC source

If true, I'm glad he's sticking with the RSC, has had a very good season with them this time out.

*picks up phone to book*

#25 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

Wasn't the last Hamlet David Tennant, or did that not play Stratford?

I assume Lynette was referring to the main house.  Tennant's Hamlet played in The Courtyard.

#26 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Four score = eighty. Not sure that the age of Titus is specified, he has a youngish daughter so 40 would be OK I think.  

£42 a shot for decent Swan tickets I see - seems very expensive.

#27 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

Lol thats my bad Shakespearean maths there, thanks for correcting me

#28 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Well time flies. I forgot about Tennant. Yes it was courtyard. His first entrance was a walk to the near right hand corner I recall. So that was courtyard. Interesting that the new auditorium has a better acoustic than the courtyard but not a better connection with the audience for all that clever upsey downsey stuff they now have there.

#29 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 03 October 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

£42 a shot for decent Swan tickets I see - seems very expensive.

Yes, you're quoting the Saturday night price. The other seven performances each week are £34 top price, or £22 during previews.

#30 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 03 October 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

Yes, you're quoting the Saturday night price. The other seven performances each week are £34 top price, or £22 during previews.

Saturday matinees are at that high price too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users