#91 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

View Postxanderl, on 12 February 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

First the Barbican, then Newcastle, what next! So far Doran is making some very good decisions, I think.

Making comments like that marks you out as a conservative (small "c"). I sort of agree but I do wonder how on earth they can justify what has gone on over the past 10 years if all they are doing now is re-setting to 2003. I do wonder if it wouldn't have been better to have let Rupert Goold have a go.  

As to "What Next ?" - how about restoring the RST to proscenium arch ? They designed-in the capability to do that if they wanted to.

#92 Mr Todd

Mr Todd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

The original decision to abandon the Barbican was, to me, made in haste (albeit through financial necessity) without any real Plan B being in place as to how to maintain a significant London presence. The costs of maintaning essentially two simultaneous companies in London and Stratford through the 1990s must certainly have been enormous and contributed in no small way to the company being in the parlous financial state it was in when Boyd took the helm. As a result the company was reduced to being strolling players at whichever West End theatre could accommodate their successful Stratford transfers and none of the West End runs were of sufficient length for even the best productions to qualify for awards nominations.

I would hope that enough time has passed that, with Doran now at the helm, the bad blood caused by the decision to quit the Barbican can be put behind both parties. Surely some arrangement could be negotiated whereby the RSC uses it on an ongoing basis for regular seasons. The construction of a new site is surely not an option so soon after the funding of the RSC transformation and the Roundhouse has a life of its own as a concert and theatre venue. I was never entirely convinced that it could become the new RSC London home - although I enjoyed Pericles and Henry VI Parts 1,2 and 3 there in the past decade.

#93 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostMr Todd, on 22 February 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

I would hope that enough time has passed that, with Doran now at the helm, the bad blood caused by the decision. I was never entirely convinced that it could become the new RSC London home - although I enjoyed Pericles and Henry VI Parts 1,2 and 3 there in the past decade.

Ah good, having corrected someone's spelling on another thread I can now secure my position as an irritating internet pedant by pointing out that the last RSC production of Pericles at the Roundhouse was not in the past decade, it was in 2002.

I am not sure the decision to abandon the Barbican was financial - in leaving they gave up £1 million a year grant from the City - it was more that their original lease had run out and many of the company hated the backstage facilities and location (neither of which have changed) and were seduced by the idea of becoming travelling troubadors pitching their tent wherever they fancied.

#94 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

By using the term 'last decade' can you mean both within the last ten years and also within the last block of ten years? We often block ten year periods into one decade and so isn't it still correct in this instance to use 'last decade'.

#95 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Michael Pennington is John of Gaunt. RSC Supporters get to book ahead of entire Barbican membership on 5 March.

#96 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

I

View PostDuncan, on 23 February 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

Michael Pennington is John of Gaunt. RSC Supporters get to book ahead of entire Barbican membership on 5 March.

I'm very pleased about that too. :)

#97 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Well I suppose better the Barbican than nowhere but I've never liked the Barbican and what with now different staging at Stratford some rethinking will be needed. Barbican stage very wide and basically procenium whereas Stratford now is much more in your face.

#98 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostLynette, on 23 February 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

Barbican stage very wide ....
You have said that before but at 14.5m it isn't even the widest theatre stage in the Barbican - the Silk Street Theatre where Cheek by Jowl appear is 15m wide. The Lyttelton is 15.8m . The new Globe is 13.7m wide (as was the original), the Rose Theatre Kingston is similar. Some of the larger West End theatres like Drury Lane are wider (15m). I bet the widest of the lot was the previous RST stage in Stratford - anyone know ?

#99 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

I guess that Lynette's point is that the Barbican Theatre stage width of 14.5m is double the Royal Shakespeare Theatre stage width of 7.2 m, which seems a significant difference for productions transferring from one to the other.

#100 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I don't much like the Lyttleton's width. Hard to set. Best with those Russian windows! From memory the old RSC wasn't that wide. Would be interesting to know stats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users