38 replies to this topic

#11 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:02 PM

No need for personal attacks Mr Evans. Your Saturday afternoons are not that thrilling, eh?  smile.gif

#12 Miriam

Miriam

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

LOL @ Dave.

#13 Viceroy

Viceroy

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE(daveevans @ Jun 27 2009, 05:18 PM) View Post
Calm down and chill out, Job! You obviously have so much hollow time, that you can post your messages at 8am on a Saturday... Chill out! There'll always be the successful ones, and the ones like yourself. Wouldn't it be better for you if you sat on your three letters and began creating your own stuff, rather than getting green with jealousy for others' success?! Your case is really sad. If you cannot put up with other people's success, you might end up flipping.
Dave Evans, writer rolleyes.gif

Oh dear! Beginning to sound very desperate, unchilled, and far from calm!

#14 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(daveevans @ Jun 27 2009, 05:18 PM) View Post
Calm down and chill out, Job! You obviously have so much hollow time, that you can post your messages at 8am on a Saturday... Chill out! There'll always be the successful ones, and the ones like yourself. Wouldn't it be better for you if you sat on your three letters and began creating your own stuff, rather than getting green with jealousy for others' success?! Your case is really sad. If you cannot put up with other people's success, you might end up flipping.
Dave Evans, writer rolleyes.gif

A devastating final word, Dave, and one that would be a stab to the heart with your quill pen if it didn't prove that you've missed the point entirely.

The ridicule in question is aimed at the misguided loyalty of the writer's supporters, not at the poor bloody playwrights trying to get their career going. Unless, that is, the playwright and the friends are one and the same; but surely no-one would... (voice trails off in memory of another recent thread...)

Read my 8.00 posting again carefully so that you understand. And next time do try not to shout.

Job, ticket purchaser dry.gif
(Not up & about till 9.30 today - but heck, it is Sunday)

P.S. What's flipping, Dave?
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#15 meerkat

meerkat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:57 AM

[quote name='Job' date='Jun 28 2009, 09:34 AM' post='78807']
A devastating final word, Dave, and one that would be a stab to the heart with your quill pen if it didn't prove that you've missed the point entirely.

Dave- you have certainly missed my point completely.
I was bemoaning the guests who shill but do not have the intelligence to do it without raising suspicion.
The first 2 posts are so similar in style and content and were written by two consecutive members as shown on the member counter- that I cannot believe they are not the same person "bigging" up a production in which they probably have a vested interest in.
I also suspect that "will" is the same poster playing devils advocate to try and throw us off the scent- and keep the discussion going- providing you Dave ( in the Billiard room with the candlestick) the opportunity to come back and shill. ( why would you call him willbill? He didnt post as that)
You then come on and make personal attacks ( methinks he doth protest too much!) identifying yourself as a writer- so it is quite possible you had something to do with the writing of the work in question.
The other possibility is that you are a female director as Dave Evans could not possibly be your real identity as only 12 year olds use their real names on the web.
My suspicion for this comes from Ken "smart" otukoya's post who quotes a post full of names and just picks on one who is Oscar material- another alias Dave perhaps?

My final point is- one of the main purposes of this forum is to post reviews of productions  so theatregoers can make informed choices of where to spend their hard earned cash-
the original poster came on to discuss a production that had finished the week before so one is left to deduce they just wanted to big up the people involved.

My gripe is that the ensuing discussions have sunk my thread asking for info on a forthcoming production that I am keen to get more details about- its just a shame you are not involved in Blink- as we would know the shoe size of the production team by now.
I know I could be a lion tamer,
I've always gotten along with cats

#16 daveevans

daveevans

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:I have graduated City University in 2003. Two of my plays have been produced.<br />I write play scripts, film scripts, and journalism.<br />Favourite movie: 'Babel'<br />Favourite actor: Ben Kingsley<br />I like writers with integrity.<br />I hate those talentless people, who imagine that they are &quot;critics&quot; but have actually never been published as yet, are, whose only preoccupation is to blab about (and mostly against the ones who are produced and liked by the audience)

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(Job @ Jun 28 2009, 09:34 AM) View Post

The ridicule in question is aimed at the misguided loyalty of the writer's supporters, not at the poor bloody playwrights trying to get their career going. Unless, that is, the playwright and the friends are one and the same; but surely no-one would... (voice trails off in memory of another recent thread...)

Read my 8.00 posting again carefully so that you understand. And next time do try not to shout.

Job, ticket purchaser dry.gif
(Not up & about till 9.30 today - but heck, it is Sunday)

P.S. What's flipping, Dave?

Hi, whovever you are - 'winn', or 'job',
I can assure you that I am not related in any way to anyone from the production team of the performance I liked. I simply liked it - that's all. I do not quite understand why you want to ban people from liking something. Perhaps, you need to see a psychotherapist? If you want to consult the Internet, you might find it useful to go to: Morbid Jealousy Featuring as Obsessive-Compulsive Neurosis ...

People have created a wonderful production, why do you want to sully it?

You are asking me why I called Will 'Willbill'? I don't know! Perhaps because of the rhyme.
I think you are getting into a dangerously obsessive state, Will-Winn-Job-Clive. I do like the production and I think it's so much out of order that you insist 'people mustn't like it'. In doing so, clive, you are just helping the box office success (which by the way, they already had - they were packed).

David Evans

#17 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

David, your reading comprehension astounds me! I've been through this thread a number of times (it's a nice little bit of drama for a Monday afternoon), and I can't see half these accusations you seem to be replying to. No one has said "you're not allowed to like this production!". Most have simply said a variation on the theme of "haha, look at the shills, aren't they unsubtle?", which is absolutely not the same thing at all. There's only one post that seems at all relevant, will's post of "saw it, didn't like it", and that's something you'll probably just have to suck up, I'm afraid. Not everyone likes the same things. As for everything else, this is a very silly thread indeed, from the completely unsubtle shills, all the way down to you accusing perfectly calm people of being in need of relaxation and a life.

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#18 daveevans

daveevans

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:I have graduated City University in 2003. Two of my plays have been produced.<br />I write play scripts, film scripts, and journalism.<br />Favourite movie: 'Babel'<br />Favourite actor: Ben Kingsley<br />I like writers with integrity.<br />I hate those talentless people, who imagine that they are &quot;critics&quot; but have actually never been published as yet, are, whose only preoccupation is to blab about (and mostly against the ones who are produced and liked by the audience)

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

[quote] I truly rate 'Action' among the best ten productions I have watched in the past two years. The production was highly professional. I particularly liked how comedy was alternated by dramatic moments. The auditorium was packed, but you could hear a pin drop in the dramatic moments and there were gusts of laughter in the comedic scenes. This production was eventful, moving and entertaining.
Hey, Will/Winn/Jobb/clive. You might be dying to destroy, but all you achieve is further destroying yourself. You might be subtle but mediocre. It is not up to you to promote subtlety, because you are as nuts as a bag of spanners!
Stop obsessing and let talented people live!
David Evans

#19 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

Ok, class. We have a few minutes before the end of the lesson so we're going to look at one more example of Internet idiocy. Can anyone tell me what this poster is doing wrong? ... That's true, Amanda, for someone who claims to be a writer both his comprehension and use of language are lamentable; that's not what I'm looking for, but it's an interesting observation and well done for noticing. Anyone else? ... Yes! That's right. He's trying to play the jealousy card.

This is what is known as an ad hominem attack. Has anyone heard of that? ... It's a technique often used when someone is so completely unable to find a rebuttal to an opponent's point in a discussion that he resorts to attacking the person instead, in the hope that by trying to discredit that person's motives he can weaken the person's argument. Sometimes ad hominem attacks can be successful: some point out a genuine issue that makes an opponent's position untenable, while others succeed because they're so finely crafted that the opponent is unable to recover his credibility. Most of the time, as the example we're considering shows, they just fall flat.

If you're going to use an ad hominem response it must be deftly written and accurately aimed in order to be effective. If you insult someone you need to do it well: let the target set himself up and then tear him down. Otherwise it's just name-calling: the debating strategy of the playground. I know some of you remember the lesson we had on creative literary insults - and yes, Billy, I did hear you call the dinner lady an irksome brawling scold last week and you fully deserve what she put in your fritters the following day. But most ad hominem attacks are done without imagination or wit and invariably fail as a consequence, to the extent that the most clichéd of them are almost always considered to be a tacit admission that the argument has been lost. Look up Godwin's Law when you get home.

Now, can anyone tell me specifically why the jealousy argument doesn't work? ... That's right: because it's entirely based on conjecture. The poster knows nothing at all about his opponent: he doesn't know what his opponent's hopes and dreams are, he doesn't know what his opponent's achievements are, and he cannot possibly know whether the latter fall short of the former, but still he goes ahead with the statement that his opponent must be jealous in some vague and unspecified way and then proceeds as if this is demonstrable fact. But his entire attack is based on a groundless assumption, and once you realise that this is the case then it becomes clear that the poster has nothing worthwhile to say at all. He doesn't like what someone else is saying but he's unable to muster anything to counter it, so he tosses out a few weak insults and hopes that nobody will notice the difference. He can't attack what he reads in the forum, so he makes things up and attacks them instead.

Who can tell me what effect this ad hominem attack has? ... That's a rather colourful way of putting it, Samantha, and I don't think you should be using language like that here, so let's say that it makes him look like a fecking retard instead, shall we? And why is that? ... Yes, because he has shown no creativity in his response, which brings us back to Amanda's point about his claims to be a writer. OK, thank you, Amanda: "piss-poor" is not a phrase we usually use in literary criticism, accurate though it may be. The important point I want you to consider is that anyone can claim to be anything on the Internet, and ... stay where you are: the lesson finishes when I say it finishes, not when the bell does ... anyone can claim to be anything on the Internet, and you have to judge people by what they say and do, not by what they claim to be. If you want people to believe you're a writer then write like a writer, if you want people to believe you're a scientist then show that you have scientific knowledge, and if you want people to believe you're an ignorant boor with a bit of a sulk going on then post tired and witless personal attacks without a shred of originality.

Thank you, and I'll see you tomorrow when we'll be discussing shills and why trying to lie to potential customers is one of the least successful ways of turning them into actual customers.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#20 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:48 PM

Matthew - I need to buy you a drink, for what is possibly this years funniest post!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users