#1 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

Saw the second preview of this and thought it had a lot to recommend it.  It was my first trip to the Chocolate Factory and I did the meal deal (during previews this is £29 for a two course meal in their very pleasant restaurant - fantastic service, good Eton Mess - and tickets - probably not the best tickets, we were diagonally positioned towards the stage - but absolutely fine.)  Every single seat in the theatre was filled.

It's a farce which depends on lots of door slamming and surprise entrances and offstage sound effects which I thought would be difficult in such a small space, but actually worked really well (very funny 'appearances' from an dog.)   Edward Baker-Duly as the caddish Clive was excellent - and also sings very well (funny line when Gerald Popkiss complains about him holding Rhoda's hand 'trying to sing.' ) Mark Hadfield was also v. good and memorable in golfing shorts.

So for an absolutely light-hearted, escapist, trip back to another era (with daily women, cigarette cases and dressing gowns) this makes a fun evening out.  My favourite bit was 'I found some biscuits' - when you see it, you'll know why.

One odd thing - there seems to be a nightclub next door and halfway through the third act loud music came pounding into the auditorium.  Does that always happen?

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:47 AM

The club is called XXL and itís for larger hairy gay men and their admirers known as Bears and Cubs. When I recently saw Trevor Nunnís (uninspiring) production of A little night music it gave a drum beat to send in the clowns. Itís really quite annoying.

In the future I will book for week days (but I think XXL may be open on Wednesdayís) or for matinees

#3 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:38 PM

Ah, that would explain it.  I went on their website - I'll have some explaining to do if my laptop is ever confiscated - they are advertising some 'fur-filled' nights and a special leather event in early May and they are very local.  According to their opening hours they run on Wednesdays and Saturdays - I was at the Menier on a Friday, so maybe that was a special event??  It really did break the atmosphere of the last act, you could see some of the audience looking around with 'What the....?' expressions on their faces and it must be a real treat during musicals!

#4 Guest_silence is golden_*

Guest_silence is golden_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(foxa @ Apr 18 2009, 02:38 PM) View Post
Ah, that would explain it.  I went on their website - I'll have some explaining to do if my laptop is ever confiscated - they are advertising some 'fur-filled' nights and a special leather event in early May and they are very local.  According to their opening hours they run on Wednesdays and Saturdays - I was at the Menier on a Friday, so maybe that was a special event??  It really did break the atmosphere of the last act, you could see some of the audience looking around with 'What the....?' expressions on their faces and it must be a real treat during musicals!

In a recent BBC interview Maureen Lipmann explained that once she stormed round to the club (in her 1900ís Swedish costume) to complain about the noise only to be told it was a Skins party. Skins as in the TV series not for Combat 18 and their admires! So I guess we canít guarantee silence. Bummer

#5 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

How funny!  The Menier is going to be presenting 'Forbidden Broadway' this summer.  Maybe they could work the XXL nightclub/Send in the Clowns/Maureen Lipmann in costume into one of their numbers ('Send in the Bears?')

#6 Guest_Eve_*

Guest_Eve_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

Apparently when Connie Fisher was doing They're Playing Our Song (in which she wore a rather striking and not entirely convincing red wig) she had a fast costume change whilst running from one side of the stage to the other; she made it easier by taking a shortcut round the back of the theatre and past XXL and the club's smoking area. She often got a round of applause.

I had a friend there who spotted her. His companion didn't recognize her and said: 'why is that drag queen running away in his underwear....?!'

#7 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

Oh great - I'm seeing it on Wednesday so no doubt I have the backbeat to look forward to. I'm also on the meal deal, what flavour Eton Mess is it?

By the way, should this thread be in the Off West End forum? It's usually pretty thin & undernourished and could do with feeding up and a few more visitors.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#8 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

Done!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#9 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ Apr 20 2009, 10:04 AM) View Post
By the way, should this thread be in the Off West End forum? It's usually pretty thin & undernourished and could do with feeding up and a few more visitors.

i still don't really get the point of this section. a play is a play regardless of which theatre it's on at

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#10 Trev

Trev

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(Reich @ Apr 21 2009, 02:29 PM) View Post
i still don't really get the point of this section. a play is a play regardless of which theatre it's on at

Beat me to it. As a professional librarian I would ask exactly the same thing. Moving posts just to fill an underused section does mean that fewer people are likely to read it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users