604 replies to this topic

#591 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

I also thought Darvill was very good - a better actor than Declan Bennett, though not as good a singer, but he performed all the songs so well it didn't matter.  I miss the old ensemble though, they were so much more vibrant and so much more in sync - I realise it's not been long since cast change, but they had rehearsal time, and so I was quite disappointed overall, I expected better.  Zrinka was fabulous as usual, she'll definitely be missed.

I was quite irritated by the number of Darvill fans at the stage door who clearly hadn't seen the show and completely ignored/pushed past the rest of the cast who were trying to get out for a break...

#592 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

I can only second what's been said. I saw Arthur Darvill as 'Guy' a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. Preferred him to Declan, overall. Arthur's a stronger actor and generally has more charisma, I think. I also agree that the old ensemble were more energetic and gelled better together.
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#593 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

View Postposter J, on 19 April 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

I was quite irritated by the number of Darvill fans at the stage door who clearly hadn't seen the show and completely ignored/pushed past the rest of the cast who were trying to get out for a break...

Oh yes there were clearly Darvill fans who hadn't seen the show at SD. Even my son who is 16 commented on it. I find it a bit awkward and some of them weren't kids!

#594 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Some of them were even in Doctor Who costumes.  I thought it was a bit sad to be honest...

#595 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

View Postposter J, on 20 April 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

Some of them were even in Doctor Who costumes.  I thought it was a bit sad to be honest...

Must have been the same Dr Who fan who came dressed up as a Dr to The Almeida for American Psycho

#596 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

I'm going again tonight and can't wait. Hoping Arthur is on as I've only seen his Guy on YouTube.

#597 Evie77

Evie77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, photography, horses, books, music, animal welfare,

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Hi Everyone, new to the boards, but absolutely adore Once!
Ive seen it ...a few.. times since i first discovered it back in January. I am finding as much as the new cast are settling into their roles, on the whole they're doing a good job, I will always miss the old cast, they were my first, and just so absolutely in sync with one another, lol, unfortunately there are some niggles I'm having a hard time adjusting to now - like a certain actresses lack of accent...., anyway, I was really wondering if there was any more info regarding the rumour of Zrinkas departure, possibly on May 10th?
She is the glue holding it together for me at the moment and will be gutted to see her leave.

I can't stress enough that this is one of this things you just have to try it and see if you like it. If someone had just described it to me, i probably would never have gone. and now i can't stay away.
As for the guy role, i liked Declans acting, Davids singing and Arthurs fine, if slightly nasal sounding for my tastes. Nice to have a bit of an extra draw to get some tickets sold - though, it has made SD rather annoying, i had to be really quick to catch someone for a missing sig. on my program last weekend, only for her to say , "oh, sorry,  i thought everyone just wanted to see Arthur."

#598 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

Zrinka is definitely leaving on 10th May, the new Girl starts on the 12th.

#599 Evie77

Evie77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, photography, horses, books, music, animal welfare,

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for that, i have my ticket for the evening of the 10th already, will have to try and sneak in a couple more shows before that x

#600 ClairEm

ClairEm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

I have seen Once 8 times now. (7 with old cast before change and once with new.)

Loved Declan Bennett and found both his singing and acting much better than Arthur Darvill.
Both my husband and myself found Arthur Darvill singing very nasally.

Also much prefer the old cast in all the roles. Agree with people who say they were in sync with one another.
I do think some of the new cast have potential especially Billy (if he delivers his lines better- sometimes seemed to underplay lines), Andre and Svec.  Some of the new cast were very disappointing especially one actress in particular who did not have an accent and actually sounded very posh!!! Made me wish I had seen her understudy.
Must say though I have seen both Jez Unwin and Jamie Cameron play the Bank Manager and love both their versions. Both are brilliant!

Not sure whether I would return to this show when the wonderful Zrinka leaves, and I loved it  so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users