#11 Kristian

Kristian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostJon, on 21 September 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

The Audience is going into the Gielgud after Chariots, wonder if the producers of Once were offered a better deal by ATG to go into for the Phoenix.

Perhaps, because apparently the staff been told about it and told they'd have to reapply for their jobs when Once came in. :/ Just find it really weird that theatres are having effectively 'open calls' for front of house jobs now!
Bradfordian Actor and Singer. Birmingham Conservatoire and Central School of Speech and Drama Graduate.
Tweeting @justwannajive

WEST END: Wicked X2 | Legally Blonde X2 | Lion King X1 | Cats X1 | Starlight Express X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Oliver X1 | Woman in Black X1 | Phantom of the Opera X2 | Rock of Ages X1 | Shrek X1 | Sister Act X1 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Cabaret X1 | Street Scene X1 | La Fille a la Mode (Haymarket) X1 |

FRINGE: The Glorious Ones | The House of Bernarda Alba (LaChiusa) | Daybreak | After The Turn | RENT | Pippin | Floyd Collins | The Man On Her Mind | Marguerite | Taboo |

ON TOUR: Jekyll and Hyde X1 | Starlight Express X1 | Cabaret X1| Phantom of the Opera X1 | Les Miserables X1 | Phantom on Ice X1 | Miss Saigon X1 | Whistle Down the Wind X1 | Oliver X1 | Chess X1 | Grease X1 | Summer Holiday X1 | Annie X1 | Cats X1 | Of Thee I Sing X1 |

RSC: Much Ado About Nothing X1 |

#12 theatremole

theatremole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

It's always been like that.

You get made redundant, reapply (most of the time if you're good at your job you'll be coming back) for the next show and where ever else because there's no requirements to take you back. Some places like to use it as a fresh start and have an entirely new set of people, some use it as an opportunity to get rid of the people they don't like or aren't very good.

Not the most loyal industry, I'm afraid.

Bit worse for the show staff as those positions are rarely advertised and you have to hope that your boss will give you a call for the next gig, or ask you to audition (some shows audition the followspots). The Wizard of Oz had a fairly large crew & 4 followspots, Scrooge will have a small (if any) crew and 2 followspots. Miss Saigon had a crew of 30, Cats had I think 20... they closed around the same time and there were a lot of people out of work suddenly.

#13 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm overjoyed at the news of a Once transfer!!
It's second on my list of shows I desperately want to see in the West End - first spot is reserved for Next To Normal.
Hopefully if Once is successful though, producers might reconsider bringing riskier shows over such as N2N.

Is there a website open yet for booking?
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#14 Lady Nijo

Lady Nijo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

This is such great news! Saw this in New York in March and was in tears as soon as Steve Kazee started to sing. Maybe it was because I had just ended a relationship with an Irish guy, but even so it is such a beautiful and emotional show. Loved the movie but loved the Broadway show even more. Steve Kazee was just heartbreaking. Looking forward to hearing about casting on this.
Can't recommend this enough!! Number 2 in my favourite musicals of all time.

#15 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

I love the film, I think it's beautiful, but I cannot remember any songs and can't see how it will work on stage. Still, I can't wait :)

#16 Southstreet

Southstreet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

It's a gorgeous show, very simple, but just loved it when I saw it on Broadway a week ago. One of my favourites from this trip. :-)

#17 wls250

wls250

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

I just saw this in NY. I pray to god they bring Steve & Cristin over. In particular Cristin, she was literally the most chilling actress I've ever seen on a stage. She really blew me away, I love our west end talent but really can't imagine anyone else being able to do it the justice she pulled off.

#18 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

View PostJon, on 21 September 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

The Audience is going into the Gielgud after Chariots, wonder if the producers of Once were offered a better deal by ATG to go into for the Phoenix.
ATG matched delfont mackintosh booking fees and offered up there very impressive mailing list
It was between the lyric and the Phoenix in the end as Cameron Mackintosh always really wanted Helen mirren

#19 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1407 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostJamiem, on 28 September 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

ATG matched delfont mackintosh booking fees and offered up there very impressive mailing list
It was between the lyric and the Phoenix in the end as Cameron Mackintosh always really wanted Helen mirren

The Lyric? Thought Thriller was going to clog that theatre for another year or so.

#20 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostJon, on 28 September 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

The Lyric? Thought Thriller was going to clog that theatre for another year or so.

Think it'll be out by march

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users