587 replies to this topic

#111 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Has the Phoenix been given a refurb or it is still the same as when Blood Brothers was there,  seeing Once next week and looking forward to it

#112 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

I didn't notice, sorry
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#113 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

I agree that you'd never guess this was still in early previews, the cast are really tight and sound beautiful together.

I was right up front and looked back to see pretty much everyone, even in the upper circle, on their feet for a well deserved standing ovation at the end.

If you're going, be sure to get your seat early as the cast start playing well before the show proper begins at 7:30.
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#114 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

Saw this tonight, got upgraded from rear upper circle to row D dress circle when i arrived and was glad of it, because i'm not sure if you would get the same intimacy from the show that i got this evening.

This show is utterly brilliant, the cast are tight and confident, but its the whole atmosphere that makes this show. I really felt a connection with the setting, my favourite part being when they overlook Dublin, it was a beautiful scene to watch. The beginning when the cast are out before the show begins really gives you the feeling of being in a Dublin pub and from that moment the show just shines.

I urge everyone to see this show, even if you don't think you will like it, it's one of those shows that needs to be seen and felt to understand how brilliant it is!

Also loved that when you get a drink from the onstage bar you get a nice souvenir cup, similar to broadway, but from what i could see only from the stage bar.
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

#115 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

View PostKevinUK, on 18 March 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

I didn't notice, sorry

That's okay, I just like seeing that what theatres are like when they get new shows, the Prince of Wales which I haven't been in since I saw Mamma Mia! a few years back looked great when I saw Mormon although most of the Delfont Mackintosh theatres are in good shape,

#116 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3363 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

Great to hear however dont forget they have been in dublin previous to west end so its not early previews for the show as a whole really

#117 Man in Chair

Man in Chair

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Last night was probably the quickest standing ovation I've seen in some time - the entire stalls were on their feet as soon as the last note played. Most be something about the Phoenix.

#118 xy_whitefaerie

xy_whitefaerie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Bagged a seat in Row K stalls for £19.50 for tomorrow's show :D  One more left in Row J and two in Row S last I checked.

Really excited now! Though I'm a bit nervous that I'm going alone. Didn't realise that I've never watched a show alone before *blush*

#119 Curtain Call

Curtain Call

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

Saw this tonight- beautiful- got through a whole packet of tissues as the music reached my soul. Went on spur of moment after day out in London- went to ticket booths first but best they could do was £43 so went to theatre itself. happened to arrive at 6pm just as they were opening box office. Their best deals were £19.50 in upper circle but she ensured us it would be a clear view. In the end though went for £25 seat in dress circle. The rake is good  so there is a clear view and there were lots of empty seats in front anyway. Could have done with their mikes being turned up a bit- but maybe thats just my age! but loved every minute of it. Bought the CD for £16 as I was impatient but you can get better deals online I'm sure.
It must  have been good cos this is the first time I have posted on here for years.

#120 theaterfan14

theaterfan14

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

When i saw the show on monday i thought that the mics could have been turned up a bit too!
"How dare they try to end this beauty!?!?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users