594 replies to this topic

#121 Magic Hour

Magic Hour

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

View Postitsuckstobeme, on 17 March 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

I saw this last night and it is beautiful. It's quite unlike anything else in the west end at the moment.
For me it was better than the film. It is very understated so I'm not sure how it played in the gods, it perhaps might be better in a more intimate setting, but I was in the stalls and was engrossed.
Zrinka Cvitesic was funny and enchanting as 'girl' and Declan Bennett as 'guy' has the most amazing voice, though he seemed a bit nervous and I don't know if that was all part of the character, if it was it felt a bit forced. Will go back later in the run and see how he is settling in to the role, but he was great nonetheless.
The response at the end was amazing, the cast seemed a bit overwhelmed! The crowd (lot of Irish and Czech) were very enthusiastic and loving.
Part of the set on stage is a bar, which audience members can go and get a drink from before the show and during the interval which I thought was a nice touch.
I thought it was funny, sensitive and a high quality production, I really hope it does well, it will be interesting to see how it fares as there are no 'big' names, and the film wasn't a big commercial hit, but if you get the chance I recommend you check it out.

What??! You're kidding aren't you. ONCE the movie was made for about 160k usd & has made over 9 million usd to date - that's a huge return.

#122 luce76

luce76

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Does anyone have the info on whether there are days seats available? As the earlier poster said, there is no info on the website.

#123 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

It may have turned a good profit but that doesnt make it a commercial hit.

#124 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

The Les Mis movie has so far made $429 million, I would class that as a commercial hit, so yes, impressive profit made from such a small budget, but not that large that it will be a name that people instantly know what it is!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#125 xy_whitefaerie

xy_whitefaerie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

View Postluce76, on 20 March 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Does anyone have the info on whether there are days seats available? As the earlier poster said, there is no info on the website.

I think Row AA are being sold as day seats,  but I can't be sure.

The show is really a special one; really enjoyed the evening. Everyone in the audience loved the show, and the cast received another standing ovation which they absolutely deserved. The cast was uniformly amazing, Declan Bennett singing is just mesmerising. And I can't not mention Falling Slowly because I just love that song- understated but emotional.

I might be the minority here, but I do prefer the movie just that little bit more. Zrinka Cvitešić's Girl was a little more assertive than Marketa Irglova's in the movie, and it did took me a while to get used to. But her comedic timing is brilliant and she has a beautiful voice.

The show deserves a greater audience. Such a beautifully heart-warming show with amazing songs. Hopefully more people will be drawn to see it because it's just exquisite.

#126 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

I loved it. Stunning. Such a special show. In my humble (personal) view, this is musical theatre at its best/simplest. A good book, good songs, strong acting and simple execution.

I agree with you, i'm simply flabbergasted that the marketing dept has done such a poor job of getting people in the door.however, in a way i'm not complaining as it means i can return again and get great seats without having to compete with other people :P

My pick for Best Musical at the Oliviers (to beat BoM *gasp i hear some of you say*).

#127 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

But on the ATG website most seats appear to be sold for the previews... Hardly any good seats left....???!

#128 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 21 March 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

But on the ATG website most seats appear to be sold for the previews... Hardly any good seats left....???!

Unfortunately, the reality is different..theres quite a few good seats left in the stalls / dress circle when you're at the theatre (i was sitting in front of empty seats)...a good chunk were upgraded from upper circle too...

#129 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

Well that's a bit rubbish. I went on the site to book but got put

#130 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 21 March 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

Like Viva, they are away with other ticket sellers. Look for tomorrow and there are plenty of seats.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users