587 replies to this topic

#161 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

I saw it this week and agree.. What a lovely show. Moving and well performed. The leads are truly marvellous.
I hope the show gets some attention and isn't put too much in the shade by Mormon.

As someone said on here when I mentioned I'd looked online and there were hardly any seats available.. When I got there , there was tons of empty seats. Really irritating. I took a seat at the back as it was all the plan showed online.. And 1/2 the stalls was empty.

#162 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

Whats odd is it hasnt (last time i looked) gone to tkts yet

#163 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

I do think someone has to give thought to the fact the top price is 67.50 for this... One standing simple set.. And a small cast who all play the music. And then the same top price will apply for Charlie and the chocolate factory with a huge set... Orchestra .. Large cast..

How can that be right or fair?
I'm sure Once opens it will have to offer discounts as very few shows can sell out st the full pr

#164 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

At the full price, but it seems very off to charge that much for such a small scale show.

#165 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

I'm surprised this hasn't been getting more publicity. It was the talk of the town on Broadway when I went last year. I thought the second half dragged a little but I did enjoy it.

#166 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

Mormon is taking all publicity. This may get better reviews than mormon and buzz come off reviews. Is it eligable for oliviers? I dont think it will be which means if it misses out on this years awards its a long wait to get any press from awards, by which time it may br too late

Charging the same as the spectacle of Charlie and choc factory is ridiculous. Until producers come up with a new business model new shows will continue to struggle and find an audience. Avenue Q nearly closed until it changed its pricing structure. People will not fork out what is nearly the cost of a cheap last minute holiday (for families and groups)on something unknown

#167 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm in two minds about the costs. In one way if I go to a show and I enjoy it immensely, it makes me more likely to pay more than say something that may be more flashy/complicated but may make me bored most of the time (not that i'm saying Charlie is in that category..hasn't even opened yet) ?

So the ticket price i feel happy paying is based on how much i love the show as opposed to the production costs.

#168 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Its perceived value. You say your more likely to pay more of you enjoyed it (which means you actually have to see a show first), well thats my point. Casual theatregoers who maybe only go a few times a year will be looking at spending money on something they know they are more likely to enjoy or get value for money from.

You cant look at it from a theatre geek point of view of someone who is happy to pay out to see everything. If you have a choice of one show you need to make an informed decision. A show thats say only 90mins to 2hrs long doesnt provide a full evenings entertainment, and something like once is more akin to a play. Many people think of a west end show being something lavish and special. Its an event and a special treat

Its no different to many regular theatregoers on here who have complained about meniers tickets getting expensive for a fringe show, when they could see a west end show for that. Its the same principle

#169 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 24 March 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

I do think someone has to give thought to the fact the top price is £67.50 for this... One standing simple set.. And a small cast who all play the music. And then the same top price will apply for Charlie and the chocolate factory with a huge set... Orchestra .. Large cast..

How can that be right or fair?
I'm sure Once opens it will have to offer discounts as very few shows can sell out st the full pr

Personally I'm quite happy to pay for such a talented cast who all play their own instruments.  Quality over quantity.

It sells out on Broadway quite easily with not too many discounts, maybe they appreciate a good thing when they see it more than the West End does.

#170 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

I don't really know the production history of this.  Given its origins why did it start off in New York rather than here?  Why was there more interest in it there?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users