594 replies to this topic

#171 Curtain Call

Curtain Call

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:17 AM

Well I saw it last week for £25- bargain for the talent involved. I have now booked for the WOS outing at £40 which will still be worth it. I see it as a different category than other shows I have seen- it is much more a piece of art. It has a lot more depth than just a simple static set and actor musicians. I was in the back row dress circle and from that view I could see the subtle yet great choreography. Their timings were impeccable as they "danced" their way to change from scene to scene- so they would arrive at their next spot on stage gracefully and accurately.  I even found pleasure in how they arranged the tables in the different scenes.I bought the DVD and it is very very diffrent. The stage musical has none of the swearing for a start. The film was deliberately filmed in a naturalistic way- but the stage version's acting is more in a  theatre MT style.  No one yet has mentioned that the musical has some very unexpectedly funny, witty dialogue. You cant compare it with other lavish productions like Wicked etc- you are not supposed to. Its more about musicianship and how music has the power to touch you deeply to your core and the poignancies of love , responsibilities and relationships. Perhaps I was so moved by the haunting melodies because of my Irish roots- I dont know, but I do know it is a beautiful experience, and worth the money for the exquisite moments. having said all that I played the CD to hubby today hoping that I would have a companion for my next visit and the music left him cold, and I was convinced he would feel what I could feel and hear what I could hear.

#172 Curtain Call

Curtain Call

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

Hooray! At last some media coverage for this sublime musical which grabs your heart. http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p016tdnq

#173 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

Saw the show last Wednesday and I thought a mesmerising piece of theatre. Beautiful story (and much funnier than the film), beautiful voices and beautiful staging with a backdrop of mirrors that provided the audience with a view from all sides. There was no separate orchestra so it fell upon the actors' shoulders to play the instruments as well, which really gave the whole experience a much more intimate feel than normal musicals do.

I was however slightly disappointed that I did not feel the emotional connection to the story and characters I was led to believe was a big part of the show. No tears from my end, alas. Still 8/10 for overall a very different kind of musical experience.

Also, do try to get there early as you can mingle on the stage beforehand and in the interval as it is also a real working bar (and if you b*y a drink it comes with a Once cup you can keep) and the actors come on stage about 20 minutes before the show to perform some songs, which sets up the intimate and informal atmosphere of the musical.

#174 luce76

luce76

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

I think I am going to have to file this one under 'what did I miss?' While I thought the cast were briliantly talented, both leads great, the music quite hypnotic (particularly from the front row), the best I can summon up for the plot was 'fine.' And actually, in several places 'less than fine'. I don't know how to do spoilers unfortunately, so I can't go into detail, but the final resolution for the couple made very little sense to me. My overwhelming feeling for their situation was 'so what?' I do realise that this may mean I am missing a romantic soul, as I saw three women mopping up tears as I left. My friend who I went with thought that the message of the piece was, 'love is shit so don't even bother.' But then she has just split up with her boyfriend, so perhaps not the best judge...

To clarify the dayseat situation, it is front row for £25. I got there at 9:15 today and was third in the queue.

#175 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

That's gone up in a very short space of time, it was £19.50 when I went !!

#176 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Yes, I thought "so what" after watching the film. It's not a show for me.

#177 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1251 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

Not a fan of the film either, and with day ticket prices having gone up I might pass on it.

#178 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 31 March 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Not a fan of the film either, and with day ticket prices having gone up I might pass on it.

Day ticket prices are no more than pretty much any show in London, £25 isn't a lot for a show, especially one as full of talent as this is!

#179 yallerybrown

yallerybrown

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postposter J, on 31 March 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Day ticket prices are no more than pretty much any show in London, £25 isn't a lot for a show, especially one as full of talent as this is!

I agree! £25 for a first-rate show.  Think people forget that this isn't at the NT or the Court and therefore cant afford to have really cheap tickets.

#180 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Sometimes though, even if something is brilliant it may not be your preference and so you are not going to enjoy it anyway. Once is like this for me after seeing the film. The show may be excellent but it holds no appeal for me personally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users