#181 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

I've never seen the movie so I can't compare but this show really touched my heart. I agree though that you probably won't enjoy it if you can't connect to the music and the story. Personally I think this show is gorgeous. I've posted a review in my blog in case anyone wants to have a read.

#182 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 31 March 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Sometimes though, even if something is brilliant it may not be your preference and so you are not going to enjoy it anyway. Once is like this for me after seeing the film. The show may be excellent but it holds no appeal for me personally.

That's totally fair, not everyone will like every show.  I was just trying to make the point that it seems a shame to write a West End show off because it dares to charge the usual £25 for a day ticket.  If it's not the poster's style of show, that's a different matter entirely, and would be regardless of the day ticket price!

#183 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Ah, see my personal threshold for taking a punt on something I might not like is 20. Anything over that and I want to be reasonably sure I'll like it.

I have to get up really early for day seats, because it takes me an hour and a half to get into central london. It's worth it if the show is one I really want to see and the tickets a bargain, not so much on the off-chance of liking something and 'normal' ticket prices.

#184 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostCurtain Call, on 25 March 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

Well I saw it last week for £25- bargain for the talent involved. I have now booked for the WOS outing at £40 which will still be worth it. I see it as a different category than other shows I have seen- it is much more a piece of art. It has a lot more depth than just a simple static set and actor musicians. I was in the back row dress circle and from that view I could see the subtle yet great choreography. Their timings were impeccable as they "danced" their way to change from scene to scene- so they would arrive at their next spot on stage gracefully and accurately.  I even found pleasure in how they arranged the tables in the different scenes.I bought the DVD and it is very very diffrent. The stage musical has none of the swearing for a start. The film was deliberately filmed in a naturalistic way- but the stage version's acting is more in a  theatre MT style.  No one yet has mentioned that the musical has some very unexpectedly funny, witty dialogue. You cant compare it with other lavish productions like Wicked etc- you are not supposed to. Its more about musicianship and how music has the power to touch you deeply to your core and the poignancies of love , responsibilities and relationships. Perhaps I was so moved by the haunting melodies because of my Irish roots- I dont know, but I do know it is a beautiful experience, and worth the money for the exquisite moments. having said all that I played the CD to hubby today hoping that I would have a companion for my next visit and the music left him cold, and I was convinced he would feel what I could feel and hear what I could hear.

Would you say it would be worth going in the Upper Circle to watch? We live 'up north' but will be down for the weekend at the end of the month so will try and see a matinee and an evening performance. I don't really want to pay more than £50 per ticket tops and Theatre Monkey have got them for £25 and £42 in the Upper Circle. Top price is £108!!! The other show I want to see is Chorus Line.

#185 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

theatremonkey.com has an offer for Chorus Line top price seats for £42.50 - book before 10th April plus it is usually available at TKTS

#186 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

I do think £25 is a ludicrously high price for day seats. The whole point of day seats is they're an effort to obtain so as a reward for the effort you get decent seats for cheap price. When you can get The Audience for £10, Curious Incident for £12 and even the lottery for the much much higher priced Book of Mormon is £20, it seems self defeating to charge £25 for Once.

That said, I saw it last week and absolutely loved it. It's a beautiful show full of gorgeous songs with a fiercely talented cast. I hope they get amazing reviews next week and rather than being drowned by the Mormon tsunami, they pick up their overspill, as it were.

#187 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:07 AM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 04 April 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

I do think £25 is a ludicrously high price for day seats. The whole point of day seats is they're an effort to obtain so as a reward for the effort you get decent seats for cheap price. When you can get The Audience for £10, Curious Incident for £12 and even the lottery for the much much higher priced Book of Mormon is £20, it seems self defeating to charge £25 for Once.

That said, I saw it last week and absolutely loved it. It's a beautiful show full of gorgeous songs with a fiercely talented cast. I hope they get amazing reviews next week and rather than being drowned by the Mormon tsunami, they pick up their overspill, as it were.

I doubt Mormon lottery will remain £20 for long.  Wicked charges £27.50 (or it might even be £29.50 now), shows like Les Mis, Phantom, Top Hat etc don't even do them.  I don't think it's an issue at all to charge £25 for day seats, that's nothing compared to the prices of most tickets to most shows and certainly compared to even the most rubbish seat on Broadway.  And add to that that day seats here are quite often decent seats.

I'd be complaining far more about the price of pre-booking tickets tbh...

#188 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

I'd be complaining far more about the price of pre-booking tickets

Oh I do, often! I am very VERY lucky in that I have a job which comes with a perk of free tickets to the vast majority of shows. If I didn't have that perk but had a similar job with a similar salary, I wouldn't be able to go to the theatre at all, it's just too expensive.

#189 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Mormons £20 deal is all part of the publicity machine isnt it, 'here look at the big queue we have every day', not that they wouldnt have a similar one at £30 but any more and less people would bother.

#190 AvenueQResident

AvenueQResident

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Eh? £25 has been the standard for Day Seats for the past few years for a lot of the musicals.. For me, 'Hairspray' was worth queuing to get those front row tickets back in the early days when it was sold out. I thought they were the best kind of value you could get for a show like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users