587 replies to this topic

#211 munchkinmania

munchkinmania

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

Still dont think this will be a hit.  It will be lucky to get passed its booking period.Plenty of empty seats when I went. The publicity about this show isnt extensive either. The two leads are excellent and so it the music. In particular the emotional and haunting piano solo and the studio session song -When your minds made up. The main weaknesses are the story, pace, dialogue and some very dodgy acting by the supporting cast. If you sit in the upper circle the sound is not good and the impact of the show isnt as effective. It was ok but it didnt blow me away like most people who have been.

#212 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:44 AM

I attended a master class with Elaine Paige Tuesday afternoon at the Haymarket Theatre which was truly excellent with some fascinating and indispensable advise regarding performing musical theatre. She had seen Once and her comments on the performances in this show were very perceptive - I will not repeat them here. Suffice it to say her comments did not lead me to beat a path to the box office for this.

#213 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:01 AM

They havent started discounting yet as far as i can tell

#214 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 17 April 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

She had seen Once and her comments on the performances in this show were very perceptive - I will not repeat them here. Suffice it to say her comments did not lead me to beat a path to the box office for this.

How do you know her comments were perceptive if you haven't seen the show?

Is it just me who gets annoyed when people take others' opinions as gospel without seeing a show, even if they come from someone like Elaine Paige?  See the show yourself and make your own mind up!  Or don't, but at the very least don't just assume one person's opinion is correct - there's no such thing as a correct opinion!

#215 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Suffice it to say her comments did not lead me to beat a path to the box office for this.

Suffice it to say Elaine Paige is EVER SO BITTER her best singing days are now far behind her and can't bring herself to be nice about anyone other performers.

#216 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

View Postposter J, on 17 April 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

How do you know her comments were perceptive if you haven't seen the show?

Is it just me who gets annoyed when people take others' opinions as gospel without seeing a show, even if they come from someone like Elaine Paige?  See the show yourself and make your own mind up!  Or don't, but at the very least don't just assume one person's opinion is correct - there's no such thing as a correct opinion!

agreed. see it, make your mind up and then decide. i'm always interested to read other peoples opinion compared to mine but haven't had another persons viewpoint affect whether i see a show/play..unless its universally panned by everyone. and i do mean everyone..i've been to performances where i was there was only 5 of us in a theatre of 200 seats!

I do hope that it receives a bigger audience though, i think despite the slow start to filling seats, it has the potential to work through the "lower" audience numbers due to the limited production costs to put it on.

#217 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

I have to say-reluctantly,as it's great to see a new musical without big names in the cast-I found the plot slight and the music samey.I didn't warm to Guy as a character at all so I felt no pangs (spoiler) at their parting.Huge talent amongst the cast.But I thought the show over-long and repetitive.I can't see it lasting long at current prices on the West End.

#218 danieldabell

danieldabell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Such a remarkable show that is touching, compelling, heart breaking, gorgeous & moving. I was on Row A and felt the full emotional impact, but would worry if I was higher up. It's such an intimate show & story and the performances are outstanding.
I got a good deal on tickets and would like to think they could revise their pricing as it doesn't feel comparatively that you get to "see" your money being spent. I could absolutely justify that you get your money's worth in story, emotion & performance, but with other shows that have large casts, orchestras and expensive staging, it's hard to SEE your money here. The show is incredible but the pricing is relatively a weaker aspect.
GO AND SEE ONCE!!!

#219 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

View Postdanieldabell, on 19 April 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

I was on Row A and felt the full emotional impact, but would worry if I was higher up.

I wouldn't, I saw the show from pretty much the back of the theatre in New York and none of the impact was lost.

#220 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

I saw this on Tuesday and really loved it. I thought it was a real breath of fresh air among the musical offerings in London. Admittedly if it had not been a success in NY it probably would have started life in a smaller fringe type venue and hopefully gained buzz and transferred  I saw it from the rear of the stalls and it felt very intimate and having seen Blood Brothers from 'on high' in the Phoenix the whole space never feels that big anyway.
I really hope it finds an audience, the cast are talented especially the two leads and it's been a while since something so fresh has been seen in London's musical theatre scene.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users