587 replies to this topic

#221 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

It seems Arthur Darvill (of Dr Who fame) is the new guy on broadway from tonight until December! Good luck to him!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#222 Priscilla's heel

Priscilla's heel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

I'm really looking forward to seeing this soon - bit disappointed at your not very well hidden spoiler though Bickypeg.

#223 JaszyR91

JaszyR91

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Everything Musical, Theatrical and Literary!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostMS1995, on 19 April 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

It seems Arthur Darvill (of Dr Who fame) is the new guy on broadway from tonight until December! Good luck to him!
It's odd that there's been no publicity about this at all, apart from a few cryptic tweets, because he's quite a big name imo.
I've heard a clip of him singing from last night, and I have to say he's sounding pretty good! :)
"And the last remnants time destroys"

My twitter account:
https://twitter.com/imjeanvaljean
Follow me if you want x

Upcoming shows: Pippin (Broadway), If/Then (Broadway), Water Babies (Curve, Leicester), A View From The Bridge (Young Vic), Les Miserables (West End), Birdland (Royal Court)

#224 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostMS1995, on 19 April 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

Wow that's been kept quiet!  He's a pretty good singer, but I thought the previous understudy (who I saw and who was great), was getting the role full-time!

#225 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

He was, for a whole two weeks :P I guess maybe he will join the tour or something?
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#226 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

He was officially lead for 2 weeks, but had been on for quite a few weeks before that.

#227 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostMS1995, on 20 April 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

He was, for a whole two weeks :P I guess maybe he will join the tour or something?

Well really he had the role for a couple of months as Steve Kazee missed his last month or so due to illness.  Ben Hope definitely deserves the tour lead though, he was great.

#228 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostPriscilla, on 20 April 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing this soon - bit disappointed at your not very well hidden spoiler though Bickypeg.

Oh so sorry!I thought that from all the tales of floods of tears at the end of the show and the fact there are only really two characters people would have worked out it was a bit saddish.Or not-if you are me!

#229 livetheatreco

livetheatreco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Musicals, Plays. Running www.livetheatre.co

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Really loved this show, here's my review if you fancy reading: http://www.livetheat...theatre-review/
Love going to the theatre, London has so much to offer! Launched www.livetheatre.co in December 2012.

#230 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

I am afraid I did not get the romance myself

I get the impression that this is a minimalist musical and Enda Walsh says in the programme that he wanted the songs to be "central" to the storytelling.

Was that the case with the romantic plot because outside the songs I did not get a sense of development in the main characters' relationship?

What is more I have to share the view that the audibility of the songs was not good, and I was sitting in row L in the stalls
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users