604 replies to this topic

#231 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

By the way on a lighter note, I was up on the stage during the interval getting a drink. I noticed that a staff member was taking a photo for a couple and found out that they had just got engaged there and then. Congratulations to them!
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#232 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostDavid J, on 20 April 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

I am afraid I did not get the romance myself

I get the impression that this is a minimalist musical and Enda Walsh says in the programme that she wanted the songs to be "central" to the storytelling.

Was that the case with the romantic plot because outside the songs I did not get a sense of development in the main characters' relationship?

What is more I have to share the view that the audibility of the songs was not good, and I was sitting in row L in the stalls

The whole story takes place over 5 days, it would be weird if there was a sugary romance.  There was definitely development in terms of trust, and honesty, and opening up to each other.  Yes, it's subtle, this isn't Mamma Mia/Legally Blonde/any other girly romance musical.  It's not supposed to be entirely happy, but then love doesn't have to be either.  It's about more than just love between the two leads, there are other complicating factors involved for both of them.  I don't want to be more specific and give the plot away for those who haven't seen it, but just because the romantic plot isn't in your face doesn't mean it isn't there.  It just requires a bit more thought and interpretation and appreciation of subtlety than many other recent musicals in the West End.

And Enda Walsh is a man, by the way.

#233 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

Oops, I am thinking of Edna

#234 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

View Postposter J, on 20 April 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

The whole story takes place over 5 days, it would be weird if there was a sugary romance.  There was definitely development in terms of trust, and honesty, and opening up to each other.  Yes, it's subtle, this isn't Mamma Mia/Legally Blonde/any other girly romance musical.  It's not supposed to be entirely happy, but then love doesn't have to be either.  It's about more than just love between the two leads, there are other complicating factors involved for both of them.  I don't want to be more specific and give the plot away for those who haven't seen it, but just because the romantic plot isn't in your face doesn't mean it isn't there.  It just requires a bit more thought and interpretation and appreciation of subtlety than many other recent musicals in the West End.

And Enda Walsh is a man, by the way.

Was some of that subtext to be found in the songs, or am I still missing the overarching point?

I myself was enjoying the camaraderie between the two as they work to allow the Guy to take his music to New York

#235 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Arthur Darvill and Joanna Christie take over on Broadway tomorrow. Wonder if that's with an eye to bringing them in to the London run in 6 months or so?

#236 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

They've already taken over, they started late last week.  Apparently Darvill is there as part of the complicated Equity exchange rules - no idea if it has to do with balancing out the guys who came over here to do Book of Mormon, as the only other Brit I can think of who's gone Broadway direction recently is Bertie Carvill in Matilda...

Although then that would leave it out of balance when Christie's factored in....

Could well be to do with the London production.  Equally it could partly be so that current Broadway leads (well, now standbys) Ben Hope and Laura Dreyfuss can do the US National Tour...

#237 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

According to playbill, they start tomorrow

#238 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Oh, strange, they have definitely been performing since Friday though!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#239 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Maybe thats their official opening night, but as poster j said, they have already started

#240 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

View Postpopcultureboy, on 22 April 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

According to playbill, they start tomorrow

Yes, tomorrow seems to be their opening night, but I wouldn't say they'd already started if they hadn't.  Check Broadwayworld forums for photographic evidence if you don't believe me...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users