#271 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 28 April 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

Excellent - we can expect a long run then.

fingers crossed but theres an awful lot of empty seats during the week.

Anyways, i'm off to see the Broadway version next week! Can't wait to compare the differences.

#272 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

I went again on Friday and it was pretty much full from what I could see. Absolutely loved it, even more than the first time I saw it.

I spoke to Declan afterwards and he said they were selling ok and that ticket sales seem to be picking up now. He also said they had some more promo stuff coming up. I'm guessing radio and tv, didn't enquire any further.

#273 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

View Posthotshot, on 28 April 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

fingers crossed but theres an awful lot of empty seats during the week.

Anyways, i'm off to see the Broadway version next week! Can't wait to compare the differences.

It's not the only show with plenty of empty seats during the week, even the biggest shows don't always sell out.

Enjoy the Broadway version, it's a good theatre (I was centre rear mezzanine and saw and heard everything clearly) and easy to get down to the stage if you're up in the Mezzanine.  Looking forward to hearing what you think of Arthur Darvill's Guy!

If you're interested, stage door is right on the street if you turn right upon leaving the theatre, they'll have barriers up so it'll be easy to spot - in fact I stumbled upon it accidentally!   When I was there all the cast came out and were happy to sign :)

#274 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

Thanks Poster J! I'm going on Tuesday night and i'm centre rear mezzanine as well (cheapest i could find!!)

#275 greeny11

greeny11

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

According to Twitter, there were 120 people at the midweek matinee last week.

#276 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

And?  All shows have slow days.  I've been at performances of Wicked where there were probably only about 500 people and that theatre's got a capacity of over 2000 and a show with much higher running costs.

I really don't think there's any point in all the negativity.  If it closes, it closes, and the West End will be poorer for it, but there's no point in pre-empting it!  Never mind that other performances have been pretty much sold out, so it's not all bad.

#277 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Yeah ive seen Wicked and its been easily two thirds empty.  Once could be a show that can cover its weekly running costs on weekend performances alone (if sold out) so can handle a slow midweek.

#278 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hopefully a bit more publicity would help it pick up. It's true about ticketing prices too, if you're unsure (even as a regular theatre goer) then the top prices at this (and lack of cheaper seats) will be off putting, also putting it on TKTs will draw more casual theatre goers. With cheaper prices those mildly curious based on the film would probably start to trickle in too.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#279 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Slightly off-topic but if you wanted to catch the film version and haven't yet, it is on BBC1 next Monday.

#280 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:51 AM

So i just finished watching the broadway version of Once and here are my initial thoughts (please note that if you do not want to read spoilers, please do not read any further *spoilers*!!)

Went up to the stage for the bar and that was cool..the songs they sang was about 50% similar to the ones in London but good all the same.

Theres additional dialogue that was cut from the version from London and in a way I almost thought that it was to ensure that the american audiences understand the scenes / make it more americanised. The word, americanised is, in my humble opinion, the key difference between the london version. I really enjoyed how the different actors played their respective roles and unfortunately i think i preferred the character choices from the london version. Somehow my take is that because we are in Europe, we get more of the grit / subtleties of the irish and Czech culture and therefore it was easier to play these more 'realistic'...again back to the word 'americanised'.

Accents..such a distraction...there were quite bad and went missing in places but if you're not used to irish accents, then you wouldn't have noticed. Pace..everything was fast fast fast. from the tranistions to the characters responding to each other, even to the girls song 'The Hill'. It felt to me like it went twice as fast like they wanted to get the songs over as soon as possible. I much preferred Zrinka's version in London and listening to the Broadways version by Cristins was great. Joannas version was way too fast and didn't have as much emotion in it then the two originals have. Speaking about pace, realism was lost for me as characters seem to bust out each line after line without pause..no one has conversations as fast as how the cast delivered it..again almost like they wanted to finish it as soon as possible.

The characters:

Joanna played the girl  really well..more direct that Zrinkas london version , however her character was played as much more willing to go with the guy whereas i thought Zrinkas was more subdued and you could see her internal struggles more.

Andre..i much preferred Jos's Andres...Svecs..I much preferred Ryan...Billy i thought was great and played more down. Barushka (sp?)...broadways actress looked so young to be the girls mother! but she was good. The father was played more 'older' in this version than londons..not sure which once i preferred, i had more sympathy for the broadway version.

Now Arthur as the guy - good voice...he added more riffs to the songs to make it his own but sometimes they didn't turn his mic on during the group songs (or turned it down) so you couldn't hear the riffs but saw him obviously sing it on stage. He played a more geeky but less tortured and more hopeful guy than Declan. Declans version was a lot more 'darker' and i think i much preferred Declans version than Arthurs.

Ultimately I enjoyed it but I was more emotionally bought into the Londons version.

Sorry for the ramble!! I can't wait to see how Mailtda is like tomorrow! Saw Newsies yesterday and wasn't impressed. Hoping to catch Kinky Boots and Pippin as well (but havne't got tickets yet and fear it might be harder now that the Tony noms are out!)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users