#291 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

View Postposter J, on 08 May 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

Because sometimes some places have special offers for particular shows, what's so strange about that?!

And clearly it's on TKTS at full price because it doesn't feel the need to discount on a regular basis...no-one's entitled to offers for a show just because one place has an offer for a date/certain dates...

The same offer was repeated yesterday, and I'm with poster J if what s/he means is that it's both confusing for the public and makes you wary of booking in case a better offer appears.  I want to see this but not at full price, so I certainly shan't risk booking in advance if discounting like this continues.  Why not just drop the prices properly, then everyone will know where they stand?  It would also be a blessed relief for those who need to book before the day so can't take advantage of last minute deals.

#292 stewart

stewart

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

Went again today and this show is just absolutely phenomenal. I can't recommend it highly enough--if you're worried about getting the best deal, just show up the day of while the ticket sales are still a bit slow (as they are now, unfortunately). I showed up right before the matinee today and got a rear stalls seat for 19.50 and just moved up. Even if I had stayed towards the back, sight lines in this theatre are terrific. If you're worried about ticket prices, don't be. I hope very much that word of mouth starts kicking in and the seats are filled up every performance because they deserve it...however, until then, just show up and you'll get a decent priced ticket even if you miss out on the day seats or some internet offer.

#293 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

I totally agree Stewart, this is a gem of a show & one I can not wait to see again. I know this sounds pathetic but I cried at the end; not a tear but a stream. I have NEVER done that at a show before.  The acting is wonderful and the way they act, sing and dance all at the same time is no mean feat.  It deserves to be promoted better. Apart from posters around London and out lying train stations there is very little by way of letting people know about the show. What's happened to TV appearances; have I missed that?
Let's hope it picks up as Wed matinee was nowhere near full, plenty of spaces in Stalls, DC half full & Upper Circle I think was closed :(

#294 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

View Postcraftymiss, on 12 May 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

I know this sounds pathetic but I cried at the end; not a tear but a stream.

I did too. I went not expecting all that much. Got a cheap ticket as I had a gap in my schedule. The trailer, reviews etc didn't entice me. But by god is it good. A masterclass in simplicity. It's raw, fresh, honest- just magical. Zrinka Cvitešić's is absolutely stunning. Starts off as this slightly blunt, straight-talking girl, but is overcome with love, hope and emotion. The growing relationship between her and Declan Bennett's Guy is beautiful to watch, as is that of him with his father, which is often deeply moving. More so because it's not a show about a pop star or actor etc. These are joe-public. Real people just trying to get by.

John Tiffany doesn't let anything overshadow the central pairing. We get a real communal feel with Bob Crowley's enveloping design, and Stephen Hoggett's choreography which really is another character in itself. I think it's the best work I've seen him do. And the music is so unshowy that it lifts this simple love story to a whole new level. It really is demonstration of the power of music. Both social and emotional. A couple of bits of the book jarred- I thought the music shop man was played up a touch too much, but that's a really minor quibble.

I loved it. Full standing ovation at the end, I joined in with tears down my cheek. So so pleased I went.

#295 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 12 May 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

A couple of bits of the book jarred- I thought the music shop man was played up a touch too much, but that's a really minor quibble.

I loved it. Full standing ovation at the end, I joined in with tears down my cheek. So so pleased I went.

Yes I agree with your point about the music shop man. I know he was supposed to be large & in your face, but it didn't sit easily with the other characters who were more rounded and believable.  The standing ovation at the end was so spontaneous, unlike other shows. It was genuinely deserved.  I may be lacking in MT knowledge but I'd never heard of Declan Bennet before nor Zrinka Cvitešić who as you said was stunning.  When I flicked through the program and I saw Declan was an ex pop band member who had made the cross over to MT I was surprised.  He has made a wonderful transition with not just a good strong voice but with some lovely acting touches.  I went not expecting much too, but it took my breath away; I actually sat through most of it with my hand to my chest in sheer awe of it's beauty.  There was a front row full of men and everyone of them was crying at the end.  I am going to see it again soon.

On a totally different note, did anyone other than me think the bank manager looked like Nick Cage and the very blonde drummer looked like Ewan Thomas (ex-athelete), even the mother looked like a pocket sized Linda Barron!

#296 Junie

Junie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 12 May 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Yes I agree with your point about the music shop man. I know he was supposed to be large & in your face, but it didn't sit easily with the other characters who were more rounded and believable.  The standing ovation at the end was so spontaneous, unlike other shows. It was genuinely deserved.  I may be lacking in MT knowledge but I'd never heard of Declan Bennet before nor Zrinka Cvitešić who as you said was stunning.  When I flicked through the program and I saw Declan was an ex pop band member who had made the cross over to MT I was surprised.  He has made a wonderful transition with not just a good strong voice but with some lovely acting touches.  I went not expecting much too, but it took my breath away; I actually sat through most of it with my hand to my chest in sheer awe of it's beauty.  There was a front row full of men and everyone of them was crying at the end.  I am going to see it again soon.

On a totally different note, did anyone other than me think the bank manager looked like Nick Cage and the very blonde drummer looked like Ewan Thomas (ex-athelete), even the mother looked like a pocket sized Linda Barron!
  Funny you should say that, my friend and I went to the matinee yesterday and said we thought the bank manager looked like Nicolas Cage, but we had the blonde drummer down as a Boris Becker look a like!  Was a really wonderful show, we spent the rest of the day singing "Falling Slowly" and can't wait go back and see it again. We tried for day seats at 11.30am, but they had all gone. We were then offered the middle of row Q for £19.50 which we snapped up. What a bargain!

#297 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

Was the view good?  I did day seats & got there at 12 and got last ticket, it was a Thu matinee though.

#298 Junie

Junie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 12 May 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

Was the view good?  I did day seats & got there at 12 and got last ticket, it was a Thu matinee though.
   It was a good view and although it was 3 rows from the back of the stalls it didn't seem that far from the stage. I would like to get a close up view though and may try for a day seat next time!

#299 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

I was in A17 (second row) & I'd like to move back a few rows

#300 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

I was in exactly the same seat as you, craftymiss, and was thinking the exact opposite! I didn't want to be any further back. In fact, I think the Phoenix is the wrong house for it. Too big. Would love to see it in a small fringe venue, or somewhere like the Donmar. The emotional impact then would be even more intensified.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users