604 replies to this topic

#361 Jess173

Jess173

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Thank you Stage Hand!
This is exactly what I thought about Once!
I saw it in New York last month and was very disappointed!
Since we didn't get rush tickets we paid almost 80$ per person just to see some guys shoving around chairs in a bar and telling us we were on the street/his apartment/her apartment/a music shop etc...
As far as I remember there was only one scene in a bar, so why did they use this 'set'?
We also saw Murder Ballad Off-Broadway which was also set in a bar but that bar played a reasonable role in the musical and even the actors pretending the pool table was their bed at home were more convincing than the cast of Once during the entire musical...
I can't comment about the London cast obviously but I didn't like the main actors on Broadway. I felt shouted at by the guy constantly and the girl was just plain annoying...

I was really looking forward to seeing this and really wanted to like it, or else I wouldn't have paid that price (it was the most expensive show on our trip, even surpassing Book of Mormon) but I was so disappointed and could not understand all the raves about it.

I watched the film afterwards and even though I liked it more than the musical I should have watched it first... It would have saved me a lot of money...

#362 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

The set is in a bar for atmosphere, that's all - it's set in Dublin for goodness sake, and the music is predominantly based on traditional Irish folk music that's heard in bars all over the country.  It's not meant to be lavish, there are plenty of shows that do that.  It's a show about the music and the story, and if you don't go in expecting a big loud musical, then the simplistic beauty of the music and lyrics alone should be enough to keep you invested so that you don't care about the set, which is a secondary concern rather than in any way pivotal to the show.  At least they did for me, but then again the music is what counts for me.  I probably wouldn't care if the set was as little as two chairs and a microphone.  For me the performances count, not how lavish the set is.

#363 mrkringas

mrkringas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

Honestly some people have no imagination.
John Tiffany has done a wonderful job with this production. It is my favourite musical in London right now. Great cast and perfect design and choreography.

#364 Jess173

Jess173

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

Well I wouldn't say it's a lack of imagination... I just think they could have done a lot more to the set to improve the experience...
The movie wasn't set in a pub all the time... I have no problems with static sets (as I said I saw another play with one and I didn't matter because it did fit to the production).

And to me there weren't  any outstanding performances either to make up the lack of set... As I already said the broadway cast was far too loud and did not do a great acting job... They spoke incredibly slow and paused for effect after every sentence... It didn't touch me... It made me want to fall asleep more than once during the play...

And to be honest I don't remember much of the music... It just didn't impress me at all, but of course this is my personal opinion...

It won Tonys and people were raving about it so I'm fully aware that most people like it... I just did not...

#365 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

For me the fact that Once doesn't have huge sets, hundreds of costumes or big special effects is part of what makes this show so beautiful. It's such a pure and simple piece of theatre that concentrates of telling a story through music. The bar set adds to the atmosphere and works perfectly in my opinion.

#366 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

When booking via 0844 871 7629 quote "oncedrink" to get a free pre-show drink and a free interval drink at Once xD!
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#367 Priscilla's heel

Priscilla's heel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Booking has been extended until 31st May 2014.

#368 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

not a great sign in a way

#369 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostTitan, on 03 July 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

not a great sign in a way
Oh come on, it's neither a good sign nor a bad sign.  Plenty of shows extend their booking periods and many are in no danger of closing.  Stop trying to prejudge it, it's impossible to do so from a simple booking extension!

#370 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

unless a show is a mega hit.long runner, there is a vast history of shows that arnt doing well, do a massive extension to gage advance sales and then sadly close. its a fact

im not saying i want it to close,  or that it will, but neither is it a great sign

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users