43 replies to this topic

#1 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

A joy from start to finish, really. The casting is perfect; Anna Chancellor her usual wonderful self, but Toby Stephens stole the show for me. Brilliant. The fight scene which closes act 2 was incredibly well staged.

A lovely play- never seen it before. Very funny, and nicely constructed; Farcical without being unbelievable. Doesn't outstay its welcome either. Part 2 is under 30mins, the interval being between Act 2 & 3. Is this where it's usually placed?

Anthony Ward's design is sumptuous. They just need to sort out the big scene change which was rather noisy and clunky (this was only the 2nd preview).

#2 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

Having seen the Rickman/Duncan version four times I have always been rather loathe to see anybody else but Toby Stephens might just lure me out!

EDIT: Oh bum all sold out!

#3 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

As I recall, the recent production with Kim Cattrall had the intermission after Act One so the big scene change took place while we were all in the bar. It did make for a very long second act though which is a problem for a play that starts better than it finishes.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#4 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Part 1 here runs at 1hr 10mins, part 2 just over 25mins, plus interval of 20mins.

Set wise, it does make more sense to put the interval between Act 1 & 2, but dramatically it works much better this way round, between 2 & 3.

#5 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

Do you think this is likely to transfer to London?  This year's Chichester festival seems to have been a bit pants with regards to transfers (correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Kiss Me Kate the only transfer of the entire festival?), but this sounds like a treat.

#6 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

Yes, this year has been low on transfers. KMK is the only one I think. Arturo Ui was very well reviewed, and should've transferred (it was rumoured for the Wyndham's) but hasn't. Uncle Vanya, given the quality of the cast (and production) should've also gone, but I suppose London isn't short of Vanyas this year, what with the (excellent) Print Room version, the upcoming Vaudeville production and a short Russian run at the Noel Coward.

Given the calibre of this cast and creative team, I'd hope that a transfer is on the cards, but who knows until after press night?

#7 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

Well with an apologetic nod to HG, I must say I would rather like to see Toby Stephens and Anna Chancellor in Private Lives. Does anyone know if this is coming to London per or post Xmas?

#8 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

Toby (puke) Stephens is free to play in Private Lives for evermore, as far as I'm concerned, because I don't want to see the play again. I would be overjoyed if Sam (vomit) West joined him there.

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Oh dear, something to do with acting dynasties?

#10 Emsworthian

Emsworthian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

I saw "Private Lives" at the final matinee yesterday and loved it.    I didn't find the set change after Act I clunky; it seemed to go relatively smoothly to me.

The fight scene was marvellous, especially a lamp being wrenched out of its socket with a flurry of sparks that had the audience gasping.   The arrival of the horrified Victor and Sibyl seemed to me the perfect moment for the interval.

If this production transfers to London, I'd definitely recommend seeing it.

Also tagged with Chichester, coming in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users