41 replies to this topic

#21 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

ActuallY i can really see emma as SallY Bowles! Id still love to see her in SOM but I cant ever see her going back there. She would be a brilliant Glinda, but I think she is too good for Chicago.

Please just get Emma back in the West End, she deserves a really big role to give her the wider public recognition she deserves

#22 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:11 PM

I don't think that regular theatre goers are necessarily more discerning in terms of deciding whether a production is 'good' or not. After all, no-one as yet has been able to define what is 'good'.. surely ALL successful shows are just populist to one extent or another.

The only difference between regular theatregoers and those who visit perhaps once a year is that those who go regularly, are likely to see a wider breadth of show, but in my opinion what they actually LIKE (as a genre, I realise there are always productions that are exceptions) is probably as narrow as people who go once a year to see the RSC or a mega-musical or whatever. I go to the theatre fairly regularly, probably 2 or 3 times a month on average, but I tend to see a lot of musicals, and primarily West End hits. I do make an effort to see plays but don't see enough to really comment in any particularly intelligent way!

I also see snobbery as an issue although not directly with regards to the productions themselves.. Regular theatregoers often see theatre as 'their' thing.. they don't like other people getting in their way (withing mobiles ringing mid performance, or talking or just getting better seats or whatever) and big populist shows are the very manifestation of all these things, and are therefore inclined to make regular attendees more sceptical and harder to please!
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#23 smoke'n'mirrors

smoke'n'mirrors

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:34 PM

She did right to walk away from TSOM - Shocking deal!

#24 musicalfan

musicalfan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:03 PM

I know Emma, I go to the same drama school that she went to and have the same singing teacher as her! As I said in the TM thread, she's the first choice for the Madonna charecter (that she did in the workshop) in Desperatley Seeking Susan. I think she'd be an amazing Penny (in Hairspray!) I've seen and tallked to her quite some times! I also think she should do Whistle Down The Wind (as Swalow) We really need a excelent revival with her in it! At my drama school, she did all the classics Eliza, (which she subsidently did for two weeks in WE), Anna, Nancy, EVERYTHING! She's one of the greatest people I know. biggrin.gif

#25 operabitch

operabitch

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(musicalfan @ Mar 30 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post
At my drama school, she did all the classics Eliza, (which she subsidently did for two weeks in WE),

I don't recall her playing Eliza in the WE? For two weeks? Perhaps you are mistaken?

OB

#26 musicalfan

musicalfan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

she did. She covered Joanna Riding for two weeks in the Dury Lane Production.

#27 Marcy

Marcy

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:37 PM

I'm afraid not - Emma played Eliza with stage 84 in Bradford and then in Edinburgh but never played or covered the role in the West End. She was doing Chitty for most of My Fair Lady and her next job was Playing for Reward. Thios comes straight from her mouth as I contacted her via her myspace.

#28 theatreboy06

theatreboy06

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:34 AM

I think Chicago is the sort of show you do twice in your career, if you know what I mean - once on your way up and once on your way down (Or if the TV personal appearances have dried up and you need a bit of exposure (and cash)). Emma's already past the first and no where near the second, so Chicago is out. Taking over an existing role from another actor is not something many high-calibre actors are willing to do, unless it's a part hey desperately want to play / they need the money and happen to free etc.

#29 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:49 AM

I don't think Emma Williams is quite at the stage in her career where she can turn down WE take-over roles. After all, if Alex Jennings and Simon Russell Beale can take over in  a WE musical, I don't think there is any reason for her to sneer at it. Or don't you count them as high calibre actors?  One WE lead does not make a great star,. She may be talented and she may be on the way up but the only reason most people have heard of her is because of the Sound of Music debacle.

#30 theatregoer

theatregoer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Apr 2 2007, 09:49 AM) View Post
I don't think Emma Williams is quite at the stage in her career where she can turn down WE take-over roles. After all, if Alex Jennings and Simon Russell Beale can take over in  a WE musical, I don't think there is any reason for her to sneer at it. Or don't you count them as high calibre actors?  One WE lead does not make a great star,. She may be talented and she may be on the way up but the only reason most people have heard of her is because of the Sound of Music debacle.

I agree with you 100% and the picture you paint is a very accurate one. She would be a very stupid girl to turn down any opportunity as to be honest I do not think she is getting a flood of overs, take over or new roles. The SOM issue has done serious damage to her reputation even if all the facts were not 100% clarified and only Emma knows the real story and I cannot see her ever divulging the facts of what went on unless some newspaper offers her serious money and with respect to west end theatre the press are not really interested in it or its stars as it does not sell papers. Sometimes you can be a big star in your own mirror and Emma needs to make sure that she does not think that way as if she does no one will hire her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users