201 replies to this topic

#11 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

Sound fantastic! What's the running time please ?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#12 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

It says 2 hours 35 minutes on the cast list. They should speed up a bit during the run, though, there were some slow scene changes!

#13 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostKathryn2, on 04 October 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

I'm on the train home and still giggling over it! I almost want to recommend it to peope...

Oh. Well I booked to see this against my better judgement having spent some terrible evenings seeing some of these Spanish Golden Age plays. Also, as I was alone in thinking Bertie Carvell was woefully miscast in Matilda that is likely to add to my problems.

#14 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Half price ticket offer from See tickets....£32 ticket for £16.
Here's the link from my email.

http://seemoretheatr...il&utm_content=

#15 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3746 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

There was also a £12 best available offer from the NT for perfs to 9th Octber. Use this code: P6721

The best bargain to be had in carcrash theatre!

#16 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

So Bertie Carvel's fanbase of under-12s don't want to see this? :blink:

#17 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

Actually, Bertie Carvel, who has bulked up and put on at least twenty pounds since last I saw him is a very convincing thug.  He's the biggest guy on stage and the most charismatic and the best actor.  The problem is that the play is about two men whose fates are linked in a mystical way and the other guy, played competently but no more by Sebastian Armesto, is not nearly as interesting. So the show is unbalanced for starters.

The other thing is it's a deeply religious play, about sin and redemption and heaven and hell (which we get to see) and being good with God.  I'm sure it packed a powerful wallop in ultra-Catholic Spain in 1625.  Today?  Not so much.  To counter this, Frank McGuinness has provided an updated version with lots of cool jargon and street slang and director Bijan Sheibani has followed suit by setting the piece, more or less, in contemporary Naples. So Carvel's gang of cutthroats and thieves are your basic gangbangers who hang out at a pizzeria and commit murders while singing and dancing to "Stuck in the Middle With You".  Kind of fun but then it's back to the torments of faith and what does God want from me. There is some nice comic relief from Rory Keenan as a stock sarcastic servant but, sadly, not much else.

It's a strange play for the NT to put on.  It's not a car crash, not one of those so-bad-it's-good things.  It's just a remote and not very interesting piece of theatre.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#18 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, travel, reading, walking

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Yeah, I had free tickets and saw this on Tuesday night and I gotta admit it wasn't the best thing that I've ever seen. I think  mallardo's comments on the whole thing was pretty accurate. My sister's observation was that it was disconnected and at one point during the first act I had to nudge her as she'd fallen asleep. After intermission a lot of people had left.

It wasn't all bad and the second half was the better of the two, but I've seen much better at the National.
Don't we get to be happy? At some point down the line, don't we get to relax without some new tsuris to push me yet further from you!

Who dare tell the lambs in Spring what fate the later season brings?

#19 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

I didn't find Carvel the slightest bit convincing as a thug - the voice was all wrong. No menace at all. He's a fine actor, but just miscast in this, provoking giggles rather than tension.

#20 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree - I didn't hear any giggles. His voice was not an issue for me, I believed him as a stone cold killer. I thought Carvel and Rory Keenan were the only two actors who kept things alive - they were, at least, entertaining.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users