http://www.telegraph...tre-review.html

#112 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

I knew the broadsheet dailies would be much kinder to this than the bloggers - Nick Hytner is too powerful a figure to upset. However, the Sunday Times has often told it like it is about National productions, so expect a stinker this weekend.

#113 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

How come N Hytner is so powerful? Apart from a core of theatre goers, no one knows who he is. Politicians hardly ever belong to this core so what kind of powerful are you talking about?

#114 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

View PostLynette, on 11 October 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

How come N Hytner is so powerful? Apart from a core of theatre goers, no one knows who he is. Politicians hardly ever belong to this core so what kind of powerful are you talking about?

Oh you are being disingenuous - Hytner is a very powerful figure in the arts and media in this country and the newspaper theatre critics who have to earn a crust in that world are unlikely to upset him as has been said - they are all part of the same "establishment" who look after each other (as a tiny example, they all covered-up the fact that for years Sheridan Morley wasn't actually writing any of his own reviews and sometimes had not even seen the productions concerned).

#115 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

I agree that Nick Hytner takes his position seriously and often uses it publicly to represent the wider arts world to the Government. I was slightly taken aback by his recent adverse comments on Creative Scotland's slide towards commissioning work and away from funding companies (if I understand this issue correctly) but I think it fits well with his track record of considered outspokenness. He also reminded us all of the increasing risk of the collapse of regional theatre as Arts Council grants are cut and local government spending is curtailed by UK Government policy.

#116 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 09 October 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

It's down to 2hr10 apparently. Maybe they should just do a Greenland and cut the interval?

Being advertised on NT website as 2 hours now!

#117 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

And they've cut the fire :(

#118 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Can't agree. I bet if I went out now and asked 100 people if they know NH, most of them would say Nick Who? And I mean 100 people in government, national and local.

#119 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostLynette, on 12 October 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

Can't agree. I bet if I went out now and asked 100 people if they know NH, most of them would say Nick Who? And I mean 100 people in government, national and local.

No-one is disagreeing with you as far as I can see. However, NH is still a very powerful figure in the arts and media world - you don't need to be in government to be powerful - look at Rupert Murdoch.

#120 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Worth seeing despite bad reviews? Wondering whether or not to return my tickets... don't want a waste of an evening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users