#131 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 22 October 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

One of the most poignant moments was the curtain call - they just came out once, bowed briefly, and walked off forever, I can't recall the last time at NT that they didn't come out at least twice. It must be depressing for them to be appearing in such a poor production when in general it is nothing to do with them but rather the fault of the director.

It is totally unsuitable as a Travelex production, any "new audience" seeing this will be put off for life.

Yes, I noticed that and I saw an early preview. I wonder if they ever tried a second bow? They weren't actually booed when I saw it so I don't think anyone would really have objected if they'd milked it, especially as they'd aready cut 20 minutes off the running time.

It's interesting that the blogosphere has universally condemned this as a pile of rubbish while the broadsheet have mostly been OKish.  Since sales seem to be terrible, I can only assume that the blogsphere is a lot more influential than the Billingtons of this world want to admit. Still, at least the cast and audiences get to the pub at a decent time (about 9.30 I think now :lol:)

Did anyone see the Platform? Though of course the audience for that would mostly not have actually seen the play yet so I doubt there was heckling

#132 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3758 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

Seems some audience members liked it:

The ticket sales a really interesting- some days it's practically empty, other days it's sold v well. Take a look at this Friday evening for example. V respectable ticket sales, esp in the circle. When I'm going, it's going to be a near private performance.

#133 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 22 October 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

It's interesting that the blogosphere has universally condemned this as a pile of rubbish while the broadsheet have mostly been OKish.  Since sales seem to be terrible, I can only assume that the blogsphere is a lot more influential than the Billingtons of this world want to admit. Still, at least the cast and audiences get to the pub at a decent time (about 9.30 I think now :lol:)

9:35. The fact it is so easy to exchange NT tickets for a credit note must count heavily against them when something like this occurs.

It is interesting that Billington says the Stephen Daldry version of the play was such a hit, just as a play it seemed remote and difficult to engage with and obviously from a totally different dramatic tradition to our own, but of course the limp direction may have caused all that.

#134 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

My friend, who is a NT regular and has been going to productions much longer than have, attended the Sunday matinee and said it was the emptiest she had ever seen the Olivier; rows and rows of empty seats.

I've been exceptionally hard on the play but the how demoralising for the cast and crew to be part of such a dud and shame on the NT for putting their wallets before the actors' self respect and not offering comps to ticket websites, community groups, schools and drama students.

#135 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3758 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

They've been comping it very heavily- I know they handed out loads to the NYT (made obvious on twitter), and a woman at the NT approached me the other day asking if I were collecting tickets as part of Audience Club, one of the main comping webiste. One shouldn't talk about shows on offer through these clubs generally, but when a member of theatre staff approaches you, with both hands full of DBD tickets, it's pretty obvious!!

#136 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 22 October 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

The ticket sales a really interesting- some days it's practically empty, other days it's sold v well. Take a look at this Friday evening for example. V respectable ticket sales, esp in the circle. When I'm going, it's going to be a near private performance.

This prompted me to check what ticket sales are like for this Sunday's matinee when I'm going, and you're right, I'm going to be able to stretch out a bit! I'm definitely still going, though - I really liked Afterlife and was even quite fond of Fram, which are two things at the NTthat stick in my mind as being universally derided. There's still potential for this to be a decent afternoon out...

#137 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 22 October 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

They've been comping it very heavily- I know they handed out loads to the NYT (made obvious on twitter), and a woman at the NT approached me the other day asking if I were collecting tickets as part of Audience Club, one of the main comping webiste. One shouldn't talk about shows on offer through these clubs generally, but when a member of theatre staff approaches you, with both hands full of DBD tickets, it's pretty obvious!!

I haven't noticed any TAC tickets on the ladder since press night (unless people are biting at the hand to get them!). I am pleased NYT are going. Don't get me wrong I don't think this should be anybody's introduction to theatre but chuck out a few comps here and there. They might even buy a drink at the interval.

#138 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3758 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostSnciole, on 22 October 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

I haven't noticed any TAC tickets on the ladder since press night (unless people are biting at the hand to get them!). I am pleased NYT are going. Don't get me wrong I don't think this should be anybody's introduction to theatre but chuck out a few comps here and there. They might even buy a drink at the interval.

Ah, that incident was before press night, so hadn't realised things had changed. I know the NT does sometimes offer comps to members on the emergency services & St John's Ambulance- they certainly did so with Travelling Light, not sure about this.

#139 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

All this talk about 40 minutes or so taken out interests me.  I went to the 3rd performance I think and it was about 2h10 then.  I'm not convinced they really have cut the time by all that much.  I don't think the first preview can have gone as long as the stated NT time of 2h35.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#140 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

View Postdude-1981, on 22 October 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

All this talk about 40 minutes or so taken out interests me.  I went to the 3rd performance I think and it was about 2h10 then.  I'm not convinced they really have cut the time by all that much.  I don't think the first preview can have gone as long as the stated NT time of 2h35.

There was definitely a scene cut by the time I saw it - the West End Whingers review (first preview?) says Bertie Carvel murdered someone and threw him in a ditch which got cut in previews.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users