201 replies to this topic

#141 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

Oh there were def cuts for sure and changes to scenes in some cases rather than cuts.  The Whingers saw last preview I think, Monday after I went the Thursday.  Maybe 15 or 20 minutes cut from the time.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#142 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Mr Carvel hasn't the physique of Arnold Schwarzenegger but even Armadillo can't seriously believe that he needed 40 or 25 minutes to despatch a murderer and discard the body in a ditch.

#143 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Ha, you didn't see that scene. :lol:  Dunk under water, pull up. Repeat.  Repeat again.  It did go on somewhat....

But I'm guessing his example was indicative.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#144 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

View PostSnciole, on 22 October 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

...  shame on the NT for putting their wallets before the actors' self respect and not offering comps to ticket websites, community groups, schools and drama students.

It would seem like a very foolish idea to offer free tickets to this for schools and community groups, isn't it the aim of the NT to attract new audiences rather than put them off for life ?

Personally I think it was fine for the NT to stage this play which, after all, is regarded as a European classic. However,putting it in the Olivier as part of Travelex was an act of folly - a Donmar-style run of a few weeks in the Cottesloe would have been adequate.

#145 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

Having this and Scenes from an Execution on at the same time does make the season look rather lopsided for people with a minimal interest in 17th century Spain. But the real folly was to have such an obscure cast - I doubt whether even 5 star reviews could have brought in an audience when the only hook is the not-very-famous Bertie Carvel. For those casually flicking through the NT booklet or checking TIme Out for something to see on Friday night, it's hard to imagine why anyone should choose this, except for the cheap tickets.

#146 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

This raises interesting questions about the Travelex audiences. The NT proudly announces the high proportion of first time attenders for Travelex shows but after ten years wouldn't you expect some of them to return to see one or more future shows, which would progressively reduce the number of first time attenders? On casting, am I naive to assume that the NT holds auditions and casts the most suitable actors available? Fantasy Damned by Despair may have starred Javier Bardem, Judi Dench and Daniel Craig but maybe they didn't audition.

#147 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Well, the NT certainly turn down good and famous people - in a Guardian interview a couple of days ago, Mark Gatiss said he was turned down two years. So it's hard to beleive they would have had difficulty getting someone off the telly. They do seem to occasionally decide (or the director does?) to have star-free productions. The Kitchen being another example. Concidentally

#148 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 23 October 2012 - 06:52 AM, said:

For those casually flicking through the NT booklet or checking TIme Out for something to see on Friday night,

I take it you haven't seen Time Out in its new free incarnation ? Bizarrely it doesn't actually contain a full listing of theatre events (even just for the West End).

Interesting they turned down Gatiss, he was quite briliant in the Donmar's otherwise bland "Recruiting Officer", maybe he is just not part of the clique that has developed at the NT during Hytner's reign and maybe that is a good reason for a change of director. Major "star" actors do not audition to get cast in NT plays, they are either approached by the NT direct or they themselves approach the NT.

#149 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Gatiss was in Season's Greetings at the NT back in 2010. I wonder which play he was turned down for.

#150 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 23 October 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

Gatiss was in Season's Greetings at the NT back in 2010. I wonder which play he was turned down for.

Yes, he was cast as Uncle Bernard after auditioning. He wasn't "turned down" in his earlier NT audition; another actor was cast. I agree it would be interesting to know which role had interested him. http://www.guardian....s-off-with-head

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users