#151 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 23 October 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

It would seem like a very foolish idea to offer free tickets to this for schools and community groups, isn't it the aim of the NT to attract new audiences rather than put them off for life ?

Personally I think it was fine for the NT to stage this play which, after all, is regarded as a European classic. However,putting it in the Olivier as part of Travelex was an act of folly - a Donmar-style run of a few weeks in the Cottesloe would have been adequate.

Ha! Sorry that looks a bit "Why should I be only one to suffer this play, let's torture school children and innocent members of the community" when what I meant was "Consider the actors feelings and introduce underrepresented groups/those that can't afford it to the theatre experience" surely they'll forgive in time?

It is painful to see people sitting on each other's laps and having to stand in This House (which I know is transfering to the Olivier soon and thus saves them having to find another Damned by Despair-esque disaster to stage) whilst the epic Olivier is practically empty. I am sceptical that NT wouldn't think this would be the case. Maybe they underestimated This House's success but Philip Glenister fans alone could have filled the Olivier if my attendance yesterday was anything to go by.

#152 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 23 October 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Yes, he was cast as Uncle Bernard after auditioning. He wasn't "turned down" in his earlier NT audition; another actor was cast. I agree it would be interesting to know which role had interested him. http://www.guardian....s-off-with-head

Not sure what your definition of being turned down is but if someone else gets a job I've gone for, I consider myself rejected. It may be different in your industry :blink:  The point being that the NT doesn't have any problem recruiting well-known actors and can afford to turn down people who would be sure to bring in a fair amount of punters.  The fact that the same director has done 3 distinctly unstarry productions there (DbD, The Kitchen and Our Class) suggests it's a deliberate policy on his part.

#153 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 23 October 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

The fact that the same director has done 3 distinctly unstarry productions there (DbD, The Kitchen and Our Class) suggests it's a deliberate policy on his part.

Add Greenland to that list.

#154 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 23 October 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

Add Greenland to that list.

I didn't count that because it did at least have the polar bear from the Foxes Glacier Mint ads...

#155 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 23 October 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

The fact that the same director has done 3 distinctly unstarry productions there (DbD, The Kitchen and Our Class) suggests it's a deliberate policy on his part.

Or maybe that well-known actors with reputations to protect don't want to work for him.

#156 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Epicoene: 'Nicolas Hytner  ' and ' clique'  in one sentence. Nooooo!

#157 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostLynette, on 23 October 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Epicoene: 'Nicolas Hytner  ' and ' clique'  in one sentence. Nooooo!

I am not suggesting that it is a conscious decison, it is just inevitably what always happens in these organisations when one individual is in charge of artistic direction, they favour those actors and writers and designers that they personally like, it was the same under Richard Eyre and Peter Hall - less so under Trevor Nunn as he was there for a much shorter time. What is particularly notable with Hytner is how some other directors are directing in his NT "house style" (Jamie Lloyd for example) so there is even less variety than there might be. .

#158 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 22 October 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

There was definitely a scene cut by the time I saw it - the West End Whingers review (first preview?) says Bertie Carvel murdered someone and threw him in a ditch which got cut in previews.

I went to third preview, and saw that.

If I recall correctly we got out about 10pm - it certainly wasn't an earlier than usual finish.

#159 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 23 October 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

I am not suggesting that it is a conscious decison, it is just inevitably what always happens in these organisations when one individual is in charge of artistic direction, they favour those actors and writers and designers that they personally like, it was the same under Richard Eyre and Peter Hall - less so under Trevor Nunn as he was there for a much shorter time. What is particularly notable with Hytner is how some other directors are directing in his NT "house style" (Jamie Lloyd for example) so there is even less variety than there might be. .

Can you summarise what the Hytner style is?

#160 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 23 October 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

I went to third preview, and saw that.

If I recall correctly we got out about 10pm - it certainly wasn't an earlier than usual finish.

I saw a later preview and was definitely out by 9.45. There's no doubt that quite a large chunk was cut  in the early previews. Thank goodness! So it seems, that, despite what Honoured Guest seems to think, it really did take Bertie Carvel, hardest gangster in17th century Spain, 15 minutes to drown someone in a ditch :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users