dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 23 October 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

I went to third preview, and saw that.

If I recall correctly we got out about 10pm - it certainly wasn't an earlier than usual finish.

I was there the same night as you and I don't think you do recall correctly. Because I checked my watch and there was supposed to be 30-odd minutes to go till the stated end time and I almost cried, and then it was over in 10 minutes.  We were out of there at about 9:45 so it was 2h15 even by the 3rd preview.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#162 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 23 October 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

I saw a later preview and was defintiely out by 9.45. There's no doubt that quite a large chunk was cut  in the early previews. Thank goodness! Did you see the ditch-killing?

Yes, we had the drowning/ditch-killing, the whole stand-off with the police and shooting (is that still in?), and the flaming robotic thing rising from beneath the stage. Oh, and the rather nonsensical song lyric references, and the strangely gymnastic thing with Enrico's manacles in the cell (never did figure out what that was meant to be about).

You know, I almost think it's a shame that the worst bits got cut during previews. It had a certain loopy so-bad-you-had-to-see-it-to-believe-it quality, whereas it sounds like it is now merely mediocre.

#163 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

View Postdude-1981, on 23 October 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

I was there the same night as you and I don't think you do recall correctly. Because I checked my watch and there was supposed to be 30-odd minutes to go till the stated end time and I almost cried, and then it was over in 10 minutes.  We were out of there at about 9:45 so it was 2h15 even by the 3rd preview.

Possibly I didn't check my watch until after we'd had the giggling fit in the foyer....

#164 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

I don't remember a flaming robotic thing! We had flames (although maybe there was something I couldn't see from the sides?) I believe even the flames have gone now!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#165 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Definitely Maybe

#166 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostLynette, on 23 October 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

Can you summarise what the Hytner style is?

In three words: The radio-controlled rat.

In more words: In production style, a mild form of Brechtian alienation whereby any contemporary reference that can be is extracted from the text is used for (mostly comic) effect. This manifests itself in the versions of the plays he uses, in the way the characters deliver the lines, in costumes, in sets, in props and so on.

#167 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

View Postxanderl, on 24 October 2012 - 05:19 AM, said:

I don't remember a flaming robotic thing! We had flames (although maybe there was something I couldn't see from the sides?) I believe even the flames have gone now!

Robot probably isn't the right word - it was clearly meant to be Paulo's body burning in hell, all skeletal and sculptural. I wish I had a picture.

I should have thought you'd have seen it - it raised up from beneath the stage slowly, with flames billowing around it, while Paulo's voice boomed out to describe his damnation, and the arms moved slowly. It was obviously a labour of love for the prop master, and where the set budget had been spent.

After it slowly dissapeared back under the stage, Pedrisco said the 'God acts in strange ways' line, and half the audience burst into giggles.

#168 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Why why why was it cut??! It sounds fantastic.

#169 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Presumably the audience bursting out laughing was not the desired effect. My friend insisted that it wasn't necessary, and she was right, it seems. But it was entertaining.

#170 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

When I saw it all I could see was flames coming out of the hole, the monk  bloke was standing in the aisle of the stalls
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users