201 replies to this topic

#181 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3758 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Any production in London always has an inspection from Westminster Council to ensure it is safe etc, and this is before the first preview, so I would've thought it was safe on that front. I think it was, as xanderl says, panic cutting.

#182 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostAbby, on 30 October 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Add me to the list of people who didn't think this was particularly terrible

The play was worth doing but it needed to be better acted and (much) better directed - that's the reason they got away with Emperor and Galilean which was also "difficult" (and longer).

#183 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 30 October 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

Any production in London always has an inspection from Westminster Council to ensure it is safe etc, and this is before the first preview, so I would've thought it was safe on that front. I think it was, as xanderl says, panic cutting.

Only the ones in Westminster Shirley?

NT is in the London Borough of Southwark.

To pick up an earlier note, I am told the third preview ran 2:23, so I reckon about 20 minutes have been cut from this.  And some of that will be a natural picking up of the pace as you get in a lot of productions.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#184 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

Perhaps if they keep cutting it, it will become a Beckett like yawn of ten seconds.

#185 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3758 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

View Postdude-1981, on 31 October 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

Only the ones in Westminster Shirley?

NT is in the London Borough of Southwark.

To pick up an earlier note, I am told the third preview ran 2:23, so I reckon about 20 minutes have been cut from this.  And some of that will be a natural picking up of the pace as you get in a lot of productions.

Ok, well, a council :P

#186 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3758 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Some December performances for this have been cancelled, to make way for extra Magistrate ones. £12 tix available for the latter (it's not a Travelex production), so be quick!

#187 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

I see the Quiz is on DbD's last night. That should be amusing.

#188 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3758 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Saw it last night. V empty- the two stalls side wings at most 10 seats occupied in each. Main  stalls 3/4 full, but the circle closed. Was upgraded to prime stalls seats.

That said, it's not *that* bad. Act 2 far better than act 1- the prison scene, with the devil, very well done. Too many scenes in Act 1 went on for too long, or just simply dull.  Act 2 was better because the plot actually progressed, and the moral dilemmas got interesting. And hell?! What happened?! They could've at least put some red light. I wanted fire!!!

Didn't get the cartoon-like set.... but there were so fab projections/skyscapes. Bertie Carvel felt miscast, esp in the Pizzeria scene in Act 1. Amanda Lawrence and Rory Keenan both v good. Shame to see great actors like Lorna Brown wasted in this though.

Shepherd boy had a good voice. And good hanging effect too. So not awful- pleased I saw it - but from the NT, you do expect better.

#189 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 30 November 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

Didn't get the cartoon-like set....

I charitably put that down to Travelex budget constraints rather than incompetence, they have a very limited production budget for those shows. Sad to think of the cast still performing it so long after I saw it myself - in that respect West End shows which can close overnight are somewhat kinder.

#190 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3758 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

But the sets of The Cherry Orchard, Antigone, Emperor and Galilean, 13, The Kitchen, Woman Killed with Kindness etc were all very good, and Travelex Productions. I put it more down to the design. But as I said, the projections were v good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users