#191 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 30 November 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

But the sets of The Cherry Orchard, Antigone, Emperor and Galilean, 13, The Kitchen, Woman Killed with Kindness etc were all very good, and Travelex Productions. I put it more down to the design. But as I said, the projections were v good.

Yeah, I think that other Travelex productions have to suffer so some of the ones you list can have more of a budget.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#192 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 30 November 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

But the sets of The Cherry Orchard, Antigone, Emperor and Galilean, 13, The Kitchen, Woman Killed with Kindness etc were all very good, and Travelex Productions. I put it more down to the design. But as I said, the projections were v good.

A production's budget is for its net cost, i.e. expenditure less income. Damned by Despair may well have budgeted for lower income than most of those other shows, which would constrain its expenditure budget.

Much of the spectacle of the set design for Emperor and Galilean was due to its full deployment of the Olivier Theatre's revolve, with its rising stage platforms, which would have had relatively little cost.

I don't know how relevant or accurate these musings are. (Clarification: I don't know how relevant or accurate my musings are.)

#193 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Timon and Hamlet also had pretty cheap sets, so yeah, I think some do suffer. This had a nice rising rock thing. I suspect most of the budget went on this burning animatronic Paulo which got cut. Would love to find out 1) why and 2) how much it cost.

HG: yes, E&G was mainly cos of the drum, though there were some good burning crosses etc. They should have used the drum for this, rather than that silly pop up Naples Pizzeria thing.

#194 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 30 November 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

I don't know how relevant or accurate these musings are.

By all means challenge opinions and add your own but please don't stifle discussion!

Apologies.....you mean your own musings....that's fine.

#195 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 30 November 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

A production's budget is for its net cost, i.e. expenditure less income.

I think in the case of these Travelex productions there is a specifc budget allocated only to the set - it was always the intention that they should hve "stripped back" sets.

#196 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

View Postxanderl, on 29 November 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

It will be very interesting to hear your views as you seem to be the only one here who saw the fabled Daldry production

Regrettably, I don't have any interesting views about this current production. I generallly agree with the consensus. It now plays very smoothly with no awkward moments. It feels as if it's been cut too heavily in that it seems too simplistic in outline whereas it should be brimming with energy. It's woefully undercast with the exceptions of Bertie Carvel and Amanda Lawrence. No complaint with Michael Gould but I thought Rory Keenan muffed it. The best patch for me was in the first half where Bertis Carvel really slowed the pace down and took full control for a long scene, really earning our attention in an idiosyncratic way. The general problem was that the production as a whole was too much like a big opera production where all the design has been planned in advance of the rehearsals and the actors just comply with the concept and say their lines and do the moves they're told. I seem to be in the minority in that I liked the three sky panels with their video projections.

#197 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

I saw this yesterday in a 1/4 full auditorium. I've never seen the Olivier so empty. I was willing to give this production the benefit of doubt but unfortunately it really is bad. Felt as sorry for the cast as I did for the audience. Also I think John Inman would have made a more menacing Enrico.

#198 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

"Are you damned Mr Humphries?"
"I'm damned!"

"Sorry I'm late Captain Peacock, my pussy suffered a crisis of theological doubt"

etc.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#199 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Will you all please stop pushing this topic up to the top of the discussion board, it just reminds me that it is still limping on many weeks after I saw it and I feel so embarrassed on behalf of the cast - I bet the director hasn't been back to see it for a while.

#200 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 14 December 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Will you all please stop pushing this topic up to the top of the discussion board, it just reminds me that it is still limping on many weeks after I saw it and I feel so embarrassed on behalf of the cast - I bet the director hasn't been back to see it for a while.

Shouldn't have said that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users