201 replies to this topic

#41 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

I can't see them closing it early, there's already been the whole Count of Monte Cristo and Tori Amos musical farce this year and it would be embarassing and, dare I say it, career ruining for many involved to be in such a flop at the National Theatre. There will keep doing what they've been doing; offering comps to all and sundry and maybe offering more £12/£5 Entry pass seats. I'm not that surprised The Magistrate isn't selling too well. I booked my EP ticket as soon as I could but if you've not heard of John Lithgow/Nancy Carroll/Patrick Barlow it isn't the most appetising of plays. I am aware it isn't just about the names but for many theatre audiences it is. Names are certainly why The Judas Kiss sold out Hampstead Theatre.

It isn't like a musical, the joy of reperatory theatre means it will be done and dusted soon and we call all forget this sorry episode by Spring.

#42 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

I don't think the dates work out, but this isn't some strange knock-on effect of Count of Monte Cristo is it? Either this got rushed into production, or someone took their eye off the ball as they were trying to sort out a spare play, or they didn't want to pull two things in a row!

(posted before seeing the comment about Count .. above)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#43 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 08 October 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

Is this the least-famous cast ever to appear at the Olivier?. Except for Bertie Carvel, I haven't heard of a single one of them. Yes, I'm sure there'll be a chorus of people telling me how  many Best Newcomer awards they've all won but I've still never heard of any of them. And Bertie Carvel may have won awards but, like Snciole, I wouldn't actually call him a Big Name.

The cast of The Kitchen? Tom Brooke the biggest name in that I think. 13 too.

But it shouldn't be about the star name- the joy of subsidised theatre is you can get really good quality casts without star names (not that star names are a bad thing, of course). Take the Almeida's The Dark Earth and the Light Sky as an example- brilliant cast, would never happen in the commerical theatre.

#44 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

View Postxanderl, on 08 October 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

I don't think the dates work out, but this isn't some strange knock-on effect of Count of Monte Cristo is it? Either this got rushed into production, or someone took their eye off the ball as they were trying to sort out a spare play, or they didn't want to pull two things in a row!

(posted before seeing the comment about Count .. above)

No, the dates don't work out. The Magistrate is Count's replacement (Tim Sheader direcitng that instead). DBD was announced a long time ago; see here:http://www.whatsonst...t's People.html

#45 Snciole

Snciole

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

Just a thought but was Carvel promised the lead/a part in The Count of Monte Cristo? The thought of him leaving Matilda for this (shudder), though I suspect he was ready to leave anyway, hands in his notice, rubs his hands in glee at a high profile part, in a high profile adaption written by some playwright hot property and then he gets *that* phonecall with sincerest apologies but adding there is a play for him if he wants it...

The Magistrate was announced at the CoMC replacement I do wonder if this was meant to be the other play in rep or were potential Monte Cristo cast members displaced and ended up in Damned by Despair?

Pure speculation as I don't know when this was announced; was it pre-Monte Cristo cancellation?

Update: Just missed Pharoah's post! Maybe Carvel did want Damned by Despair!

#46 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 08 October 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

I still regret missing Greenland... :lol:
Really, Pharoah?? Really?!!?
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#47 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Yeah, really- it'll go down in NT history as one of the big flops, along with the likes of Fram. And I wanted to see a flying trolley :lol:

#48 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

Since Greenland (another celeb-free turkey) and Damned by Despair have the same director, I'm getting less optimistic with every passing moment :lol:. As did the Kitchen - does nobody famous want to work with this bloke? :blink: As for the Dark Earh and the Light Sky - the Almeida is about a third the size of the Olivier so you can't really compare them.

#49 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

Who directed Greenland? Mind you, he also directed The Brothers Size which put him straight on my list of directors to follow.

I suspect Bertie Carvel's one of the increasingly rare serious actors who picks a wide range of interesting projects, such as this and Rufus Norris's Dr Dee last year.

#50 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 08 October 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

As for the Dark Earh and the Light Sky - the Almeida is about a third the size of the Olivier so you can't really compare them.

No, of course, but I was making the point that subsidised theatre allows productions to be put on without the worry of having to cast a 'star'. There's nothing wrong with a non-star cast, and the Olivier has had many: Nation being another example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users